How much money do you have into our hobby so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Much

• 0-100

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • 101-200

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • 201-300

Votes: 29 10.0%
  • 301-400

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 401-500

Votes: 24 8.3%
  • 501-800

Votes: 29 10.0%
  • 801-1000

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • 1001-1500

Votes: 44 15.2%
  • 1501-2000

Votes: 26 9.0%
  • 2001-3000

Votes: 18 6.2%
  • This list can't even touch my price tag lol

Votes: 54 18.6%

• Total voters
I used to be the same. I'm buying a cheap power filter to make my salt modes a little less crazy.

You can mix your own sw. I think it's too hard for me right now, so I'm still fresh.

I would but right now it's not worth it. It is natural sea water that has been filtered and sterilized.

In the future I definitely will mix my own, but getting an RO/DI unit + salt isn't cost-effective for me at the moment.

Trust me, unless you trust your LFS a bunch, don't do it. Not only is it more expensive in the long-run to buy it, they may not use a good quality salt.

You don't even want to know. ;)

MTS took over for me in 2003 and it's all been downhill from there. We're up to about 75 tanks now. LOL.

:0 really?! You really got MTS bad... Don't you also sell livestock? Did that pay back anything?

This hobby can be expensive or inexpensive depending on how you approach it. I have about a dozen tanks running right now. Not all are heated or lit, most have sponge filters. Most of the tanks were bought as leakers, some I built. I use cheap lighting solutions on the lit tanks. As an aquarium society member, I often get equipment cheaply at the monthly auctions. I have a brand new 75 sitting here. When I get it set up I will have about $150 into it. That is for tank, stand, filter, substrate and lights. Aquarium club auctions also present opportunities to buy livestock, sometimes rare, for very good prices. Part of the allure of this hobby is to find cheaper alternate ways of doing things.

First FW aquarium in 1972. MTS until 1994 when I went a 240 gallon as my only running system. Dragged into SW in 2002 by the wife with a 55. Now running a 180 gallon reef with mostly used or DIY equipment. Hey it's only money!

First FW aquarium in 1972. MTS until 1994 when I went a 240 gallon as my only running system. Dragged into SW in 2002 by the wife with a 55. Now running a 180 gallon reef with mostly used or DIY equipment. Hey it's only money!

What does MTS mean?

Thats awesome bill i wish we had aquarium auctions here where are you from around here i would pay about 500-600 even if it was used

Multiple Tank Syndrome, a very serious disease that afflicts those of us in the aquaria hobby.

Symptoms include greeness from envy, a need to top everyone else's tanks. And most commonly and the name for the disease - an uncurable need to have more tanks... more and more and more tanks..

There are no known treatments except to fulfill your desires and buy more tanks :)

Multiple Tank Syndrome, a very serious disease that afflicts those of us in the aquaria hobby.

Symptoms include greeness from envy, a need to top everyone else's tanks. And most commonly and the name for the disease - an uncurable need to have more tanks... more and more and more tanks..

There are no known treatments except to fulfill your desires and buy more tanks :)

O NO I had MTS without knowing it i have just been diagnosed at AA lol i started with one and know have a whole fish wall iam down to a couch chair and tv in the livingroom the rest is tanks

i haven't even finished setting up my first tank and i want another already :)

Maybe we should all update on this thread every month to see how much we are all spending it will help us realise how much we realy love this hobbie :)

About $1200.. only if we don't count the past tanks.
And it could've been about half that if I knew where to get stuff from the beginning.

Well, I know Im over a grand. As far as the wife knows, everything was used and cost like $20 each.

Back
Top Bottom