how much time to you spend watching your tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kostasonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don´t know about you guys but when I´m home I just can´t take my eyes away from it. It´s not that I sit down to watch it constantly but every time I pass by I stop for some minutes. Sometimes I even forget what I was going to do..!?:)
On average I would say that I spend 20-30 min per day watching. What about you??

Attachments

• im000078_625.jpg
    im000078_625.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 34
Good question - I'm looking forward to seeing the responses.

Kitchen: 1 betta tank and 1 female platy tank - 30 - 60 minutes a day, usually in the morning as I'm making the coffee and in the evening as I'm cooking
Dining room: 1 betta tank and 1 dwarf frog tank - 30 minutes a day, when I need a break from work and when I'm feeding. I can watch the ADFs hunt for quite some time.
Office: (I work from home). 35G community and 10G DP tank - 4 to 5 hours a day ! I'm constantly looking up from my PC to watch the 35G and when I'm on the phone (at least 2 hrs a day) I watch the DPs. On the weekends I'd say it goes "down" to 3 - 4 hours a day as I tend to spend alot of time in this room then also.

Now ask how much television I watch LOL - 2 hrs a day. 30 min in the morning and 90 min - 2 hrs in the evening before bed.

The tanks win ! LOL

I think my minutes infront of the tank will really pile up when i put my light on a timer.
My tank is inline with my bed so i have a really good view of it, the only problem is that i turn the light off before i go to bed! My loaches are really active in the evenings so i want to watch tme some more! I'll conveniently set the timer to go off at about 11-12 :D
On the whole i'd say i spend about 30-60 mins watching my tank.

I am setting up my second tank aswell so the minutes on that will shoot right up!
If i remember i'll post how long i spend watching the new tank in here when it's all up and running. :)

I do what Kostasonia does--stop by the tank as I pass it. Eventually I'm there so long that I end up crouching down so I'm eye level with the gravel, and then I start talking to the fish. I do this several times a day, so much that my marble loach (Marble Rye) will now come over when he sees me and plant himself on the gravel right in front of me. Like, "Oh it's time to do this again." :roll:

I wish I had a watch-o-meter to calculate how many minutes of tank-watching I've accrued at the end of each day.

I'm still new to aquaria, so while I do spend a lot of time in front of my new tanks (probably 40 a day), I also spend more time thinking up ways to dig ponds and get a tank to consume a whole wall. You know...what every obsessed fish hobbyist would do.

My 20G community is right in line with the sofa in the living room. I usually catch myself drifting over to it when movement catches my eye. My wife claims that one night I was staring for an hour straight but I think she exagerates just a bit.

Classroom tank (45 cichlid tank and 20L ACF tank) a lot (they are right next to my desk and i am always glancing over at them when i am not in the middle of teaching) plus the kids like to watch the fish when not working too so i have a lot of "teachable moments" most.."if you bang on the glass one more time i am going to tell you to leave" :D

home tanks...
75 is in my home office so i watch them when i am at the computer...surfing, writing up lessons and so forth... i even came up with a cool (IMO) genetics lab after watching a breeding pair of convicts i used to have... they were both striped but produced ~50% pink fry...

28 asian tank is in living room so i glance at it while watching tv...

DP probabaly get a total of 45 min of my time in the evening (more on the week end) as i feed them and watch them hunt snails...

When I walk by my tank(which is everytime I come into my room) I have to stop and look at my tank for a while. Like 20-30 minutes. Sometimes I take my stool and put it in front of the tank and watch. I also watch before bed.

My tanks in my office. I will spend 5-10minutes in the morning, when I get home, and at night. I spend more time watching for plant deficiency than actually looking at the fish though...My 5month old daughter gets so excited when I take her over to the tank. I'll roll the chair we're on and she'll spend a good 10 minutes (that's like 3 years 5month old time!) watching them zoom around.

When I go to check my email or visit this site I'll always peek in and look to make sure everyone's OK.

I have 2 tanks: 1 5.5 gallon goldfish tank in my bedroom and the 20 gallon in the living room in my apartment. I watch the 5.5 as I fall asleep at night, and the one in the living room I watch more than tv, except Sundays, when football is on. I gues maybe 30-45 minutes a day for each. There's something very calming and relaxing about the fish swimming.

My computer at home faces my 30gal and the 10 gal is right beside me, so I find myself looking at the tanks mor then the computer or TV, so all toll I probably spen 2 to 2 1/2 hrs a day. alot more then I watch TV

You know, when new people post to this forum, people say, "Welcome to AA!" At first I thought that meant Aquaria Anonymous.

I have stared at my tank for over an hour on any given day. It's so relaxing combined with the sound of the flowing water, I feel the stress ebb away. =)

hard to say. I clean or arrange it almost an hour a day, if not, I stare at it, lol. It is a 55 gal at the end of my couch, so I lay there and glance back and forth from the t.v. to the tank. They are next to each other. Kinda convienient;)

Thus far I spend on average 1 to 2 hours a night fretting/watching my tank. I figure it's good practice, by the time all I have to do is generic maintenance and feeding (and actual enjoyment), that'll be simple!

Since mine is in my room, I'll watch it for at least an hour a day, probably more. Can't walk past or sit there without checking on all the fish and observing behavior. I'm obsessed :)

tanks

theotheragentm said:
You know, when new people post to this forum, people say, "Welcome to AA!" At first I thought that meant Aquaria Anonymous.

We do. We simply don't tell newbies till it is too late and they are hooked. :wink:

I watch my 1g more than any of my other tanks. It's fun to watch the shrimp zip around and play in the current. Probably a good hour or so between all the tanks each day. Some more than others.

Good post! I spend at least an hour staring at my tank in a day. I recently moved and I had to set up the tank anywhere BUT beside my desk, where it was before, because I couldn't get any work done! I am about to set up a 33 gal for some acfs of my dad's, but I figure they can go beside my desk since they aren't as distracting as my fish.

me i moniter my three aquariums soon to be four with a watch full eye becuse i want to know whats up at every point in the day so i guess about 2 hours a day .
Well its easy for me becuse my betta is on my desk and my 29 is right to the side of my desk and then my 55 is just across the room from my desk and that one is the most monitered of the three right now becuse it is my saltwater reef.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom