How often do you do Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Often do you do water changes?

• every 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • every 3 weeks

• monthly

• never

• Total voters

Fishboy-from-NY

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is the poll to see, I personally ever since I installed my Nitrate filter, I only do 1-20% water change every 2 month's. but dose my tank with trace elemtents weekly and all is doing well. Before the Nitrate filter, I wsa doing 20% every 2 weeks.

I wont take any chances.
I do water changes EVERY week like clock work.
I have to much invested in my Oscars and their home not to mention my other 5 tanks..LOL

There was not choice for every 2 months so I picked monthly.
125 reef nitrates run at 0 and 55 fowlr around 5-10. The only reason I do water changes in the reef is for the nutrients in the water. The fowlr I do just to keep no3 in check and to keep everyone happy.
My refugiums do a great job and they are the only reason I can get away with fewer water changes.

i dont know why but my tank always test 0 for the no3. i change it when i get a batch of sw mixed up and i think it might be about time for it.

Who voted never since I would like to know what they do not to change the water. I have a new filter that keeps Phosphates and nitrates at 0PPM all the time, but I stilll do monthly water changes and replenish weekly the water with trace elements

I did'nt know that there was a nitrate filter that really worked.I have never seen one that was worth the powder it would take to blow it up. Remember all test kits are not created equal!! Some times exspensive does'nt mean good!!

I voted never I have a 10 gallon and 55 gallon tank and havent done one water change yet and everything is doing great. So far I dont need to do them so why start? If it anit broke dont fix it.

yeah but how long have they been running every one has to do a water change some time or other.... maybe not but then again what ever is in your tank maynot be living up to its full potential it may just be living....

I change water every 2 or 4 weeks, depending on the water parameters. As soon as they show anything, I change it. I'm like Oscarbreeder, got too much invested to take a chance. On a side note: Unlike Oscarbreeder, I can;t stand Jeff Gordon...LOL.......Just havin fun bud.

Mike

So far I dont need to do them so why start? If it anit broke dont fix it.

so that pollutants or toxins don't build up and crash the system...are you running a good protein skimmer? how long have you been set up?

that sounds logical you change it when it needs changing why change it if nothings wrong thats just more work for yourself! I think any one that has a tank has quite a bit invested. But i never knew oscars were that exspensive?

I voted never, however I did do 1 - 5G after having the tank for about 2 months. Y? Because everywhere I read, "You got to do water changes". Ba, humbug. I agree, if it ain't broke, don't g00b with it. I suspect most folks that *must* do water changes do so because of tests showing high bad things. Ever wonder why? The truth is, you could probably dump all the extra filtration trash if you were really willing to work at it. However, seems everyone wants 100lbs of LR in their 30G tank with 2 percs, wrasse, couple tangs, several corals, all the 'clean up crew' they can afford and o ya, did I mention, I just added a lionfish. I guess my point is this: If you flood the environment (overload) you have to do something because your natural filters will never be able to keep up with your 'bioload'. (p00p and what not..;) Its a lot like oil in your car. We put oil in every 3000 mi (ok, your supposed to ; ) or so cause we wear it smooth out. We know its going to happen, but we still dump in all this expensive time and $$ into our oil pan so we can squeeze yet another meesly 3 - 4000 mi out of our car. Obviously the engine puts way to much load on the supporting environment, but we do it anyway and so we are stuck with some mundane, on going maint routine. There are however lots of folks (Im one) and a host of articles out there on running a tank with minimal effort. With, in some cases, better results than all the reactors, filtration, skimmers $$ can buy. Its not an approach for everyone, but I frown on anyone who says it 'just can't be done' or someones tank is not living up to its 'potential'. (Check out my gallery..no water changes in almost a year and skimmerless - Cnat stop the xenia from taking over the tank and coraline algea? fughettaboutit) Theres far more to a healthy tank than throwing a bunch of cash at it. It takes time, effort, the love of reef keeping and sometimes a dash of luck. All this I guess to say, water changes work for you? Geat, keep up the good work. If you have never done anything but feed your fish, consider yourself lucky, you have acheived some level of equilibrium most keepers will never try to find.
nother 2 cents..think Im up to about a dollar tonight..time to log ; )

KMyers18 said:
that sounds logical you change it when it needs changing why change it if nothings wrong thats just more work for yourself! I think any one that has a tank has quite a bit invested. But i never knew oscars were that exspensive?

For me, monetary value has less importance than the responsibility of providing a good home for the creatures we've yanked from the oceans for our pleasure.

Not true buddy about the water change, since it has been proven that the least water changes, the more stable the parameters shall be. Don't get me wrong, this filter cost me $700, but it stands by what it says and in 4 days from 50PPM Nitrates to 0. I just dose weekly calcium, iodine, iron & trace elements along with PH Buffer. THAT's ALL.

I like messing with my tank cleaning; ect. ect. I like buying all the latest gadgets and gizmos that come out some work some dont . The ones that do, stay the ones that dont get trashed. A water change can only help and salt is cheaper than all thoes chemicals. So if you dont have the money for all the gadgets you can get by with out them but what fun is a hobby you cant spend any money on? And who wants a bare bones tank with not much live stock (Boring)!!

Im new to this but I like the Idea of trying small (>1%-2%) water changes daily. Some say this stresses the fish more, but I think that you can supplement nutrients into the water, and remove the hassle of dosing. You could mix maybe a drop of kalk into it, or iodine supplements. Plus it's really easy, unless you have a truly monstrous tank.

:D

come on the people that say they never clean thier tanks, expose yourself and speak more of what type of tank it is and what type of filtration system you have.

Back
Top Bottom