how old were you when you got your first aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

how old were you when you got your first aquarium

• 0-10

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • 11-20

Votes: 60 44.8%
  • 21-30

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • 41-50

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 51-60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 61 +

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Got mines when I was 17. I did really bad with that one. I did everything wrong. And then the tank leaked and we never put it back up.

We always had one when I was a kid til my parents got divorced when i was 8 then we had a 10 gallon on and off since then I am now 20 and my wife got me a 12 gal for Christmas and i bought a 25 gal that is just finishing it's fishless cycle.

Dylan5359 said:
Seahorsesource.com cycle that tank first! ;)) there 10.50 each

-Dylan

Do u know how bad it is on the sea horse population? Good if they're ok to have as pets.

I must be misunderstanding your comment. Seahorsesource.com sells captive bred, and tank raised seahorses so it is not affecting the seahorse population, but actually encouraging population growth. This steers people away from buying wild seahorses, knowing the possible parasites, and population risks. And dwarf seahorses are actually quite hardy pets, as long as their needs are met, but they do require special care that I have made sure I'm capable of giving. So believe me, I know what I'm doing.

I purchased my first right before i turned 20 and since then I now have a 55g, 29g saltwater in progress, a 20g long brackish, and a small 6.6g bookshelf aquarium.

Dylan5359 said:
I must be misunderstanding your comment. Seahorsesource.com sells captive bred, and tank raised seahorses so it is not affecting the seahorse population, but actually encouraging population growth. This steers people away from buying wild seahorses, knowing the possible parasites, and population risks. And dwarf seahorses are actually quite hardy pets, as long as their needs are met, but they do require special care that I have made sure I'm capable of giving. So believe me, I know what I'm doing.

Still it's like keeping a lion as a pet. So wat if it's captive bred? That doesn't mean t deserves a horrible life in a little tank. The seahorse population is endangered. By supporting that company, you support them catching seahorses in the wild. They have to keep catching more to keep breeding more.

maxwellag said:
Still it's like keeping a lion as a pet. So wat if it's captive bred? That doesn't mean t deserves a horrible life in a little tank. The seahorse population is endangered. By supporting that company, you support them catching seahorses in the wild. They have to keep catching more to keep breeding more.

No no no! That's like saying it's wrong to keep any fish as a pet because at one point it was wild caught but bred into captive raising. Your questioning fish keeping in general.! Captive bred and tank raised prevents any seahorses being taken from the wild. I get the jift of what your trying to say and it's great that you care about the seahorse conservation believe me I do too, but they do not catch them from the wild! This site, provides fish keepers with captive and tank raised seahorses that actually do better in captivity than the wild!! (well dwarf seahorses for that matter) Hippocampus Zosterae or dwarf seahorses live a year in the wild, but in captivity they live from 2-3 years. They are not suppose to be kept in large tanks because they get easily lost! They are only about an inch big. You could keep them in larger tanks but smaller tanks 2-10 gallons is more successful. Please do your homework before criticizing companies of seahorse genocide when they are simply trying to keep seahorse populations thriving in the wild, and provide us with CAPTIVE BRED seahorses.

I was 46 years old. I was given a Common Pleco for free by a blood lab, when my Grandson Casey was 4. He had just been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. The Aquarium works wonders for helping him to self calm and relax. So we kind of got it together and we've been keeping fish for almost 7 years now. It's a great hobby to share, it's become great family time.
We named the Placo Eddie Fisher and every fish since then has been given a name.
We lost Eddy to ick 5 years later, along with the entire community tank he was in. It was really rough on all of us. He was very special. he would come up to the surface to be petted when we would come over to the tank. I don't mean a touch or two, it was always a good 5-10 min. of petting Eddie, before he'd swim off. I don't think we will ever have another quite like him.
Wendi, what a wonderful story.

Wendi, what a wonderful story.

Thank you thincat,
He was a wonderful to start this fish thing. We of course have a big soft spot for Plecos, but I don't think we'll ever find one quite like him again. He was a rare, Common Pleco. He is missed as much as any dog or cat we've had. He still comes up in our conversations everyday.
I'm sure he has a lot to do with why we kept on with the fish hobby.

That's a great story. Really. How did you get him to do that? Did you hand feed him or something?

That's a great story. Really. How did you get him to do that? Did you hand feed him or something?

He just came that way. One day right after I brought him home, I had my hand in the tank for some reason or other and he kept swimming through my fingers while I was trying to work. So I thought I'll just pet him and he'll leave me alone to finish, right, wrong. Instead he just hung there for quite awhile letting me pet him. It was both wonderful and strange.
He just continued to be that friendly until he passed away.
I wish I had been the one that made him that way, so I could have another Pleco like him. But, it was just who he was. Eddie Fisher was a one of a kind Pleco, and he is sorely missed.

I always wanted one of those, more than a fish type of fish. If you get what I'm trying to stay. Again great story. Great story.

I always wanted one of those, more than a fish type of fish. If you get what I'm trying to stay. Again great story. Great story.

Well, anything is possible. We got Eddie Fisher by a fluke. So it can happen again, for anyone.
And thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The truth is often better that fiction.

Back
Top Bottom