How to Improve Big Pet Store Chains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have spent most of my past few shifts either computer training, or working the register. oddly enough, during my shift yesterday, i rung somebody up buying the betta exercise ball. gotta love irony.

i am getting a little frustrated with the job. most of the time i am doing things outside of aquatics...and when i am giving advice, it is mostly trying to talk people out of bad decisions. yesterday, i had to tell somebody not to put a blood parrot in a small bowl. i did manage to talk them into a betta.

the problem with this is, i did not apply to run a register, take out trash, and answer phones. i really just wanted to work in the fish department and do something i enjoy. honestly, i could make the same money as a 5 hour shift at the store doing 1 hour of tutoring.

i will stick it out for a while, through the summer, and bring up my concerns with the boss. a major problem with the store is that they have employees that call in sick all the time, so other people have to leave their areas to cover them. they need to hire 3 or 4 dependable people and let everybody do their job.

i have spent most of my past few shifts either computer training, or working the register. oddly enough, during my shift yesterday, i rung somebody up buying the betta exercise ball. gotta love irony.

i am getting a little frustrated with the job. most of the time i am doing things outside of aquatics...and when i am giving advice, it is mostly trying to talk people out of bad decisions. yesterday, i had to tell somebody not to put a blood parrot in a small bowl. i did manage to talk them into a betta.

the problem with this is, i did not apply to run a register, take out trash, and answer phones. i really just wanted to work in the fish department and do something i enjoy. honestly, i could make the same money as a 5 hour shift at the store doing 1 hour of tutoring.

i will stick it out for a while, through the summer, and bring up my concerns with the boss. a major problem with the store is that they have employees that call in sick all the time, so other people have to leave their areas to cover them. they need to hire 3 or 4 dependable people and let everybody do their job.

All I can say is "Welcome to retail." :( This is what happens in any retail establishment. My roomie complained constantly about it at Home Depot, My friend at Walmart has it happen to her and it used to happen to me when I was working in a grocery store umpty ump years ago. Even hiring dependable people does not ensure against emergencies, illness and absenteeism. That's just the way it goes. :nono:

My local chain store has this same problem. It's a pretty decent store for the reputation that these stores get but its the safe way yours is. Shortness of staff. I can't tell you how many times I've stood around for 20 mins waiting to be helped to get a fish or something.

Caleb

Well, this little experiment of mine has ended. I actually quit the job yesterday. It just was not worth my time and effort. I spent probably only 10% of my time there working in the fish department. Most of my time was spent at the register covering people that called in sick etc.

I will say, that I think the managers there care about their job and about the animals in their care. They simply do not have enough dependable staff and are spread far too thin. I took this job to earn some extra cash doing something I enjoyed. As it turns out, working in retail is not really for me.

I can make a lot more money simply tutoring for a few hours a week. I also decided that when school starts again in the fall, that I will propose a fish-keeping after school group where I can teach a group of kids proper care and get paid well for it. I have a few different tanks I could use for that and it would be a nice edition to my classroom...and far more rewarding than talking some guy out of buying a common pleco for his 5 gallon gold fish tank. :banghead:

Sorry to hear this but I fully understand. Retail is not for everyone. I gave it a shot...a long shot at that, but in the end, it was the customers that made me go back to wholesale and breeding. Just not enough hobbyists anymore to make retailing as rewarding as it once was.
At least you tried. 2 (y) (y) for the effort.

Good luck with the after school class. That sounds like some fun. :)

I don't blame you. You gave it your best shot.

That after school fishy group/club sounds like a fantastic idea :D

Understand completely. Same reason I skipped being a fish department "manager" if you can call it that. I kept thinking I wouldn't let anyone take home any fish... and be angry and or frustrated most of the time.

Well, tutor for real $ and have more fun time available for fish keeping. :)

Oh well, it was an experience and I did make a little extra money. I definitely went into it with some unrealistic expectations, but I did think I would at least get to spend time in the aquatics department.

I am teaching summer school, so I will have extra income to save towards the new truck....and I mentioned the fish keeping after school group to my Principal and she thought it was a great idea. My only regret is that I didnt buy a bunch of pet food and equipment before I quit (25% off!). :lol:

Back
Top Bottom