How to ship coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know where to post this question so I'm gonna guess....

I'm shipping some corals to someone and I'm just curious if anyone has done this and if you can add any suggestions?

For example-should I add a heat pack during this time of the year? Is it ok to ship a hammer coral and frogspawn in the same bag? etc..

TIA! :smilecolros:

You should never ship more then one coral in a bag. Depending on where you are shipping it you may want to use a heat pack. I'm still using them becuase it is cold in those airplanes and the overnight temp is still pretty chilly in most of the country. Double bag the corals and pad the box.

You should never ship more then one coral in a bag. Depending on where you are shipping it you may want to use a heat pack. I'm still using them becuase it is cold in those airplanes and the overnight temp is still pretty chilly in most of the country. Double bag the corals and pad the box.

Thanks! I'm trying to keep the box size down but still ship all the corals that I want. Is there a general guideline for amount of water in the bag with the coral?

Oh! and is newspaper or noodles the best for shipping?

Thank you again!

If you search for the Kudos to Ziggy953 posting I made a couple of weeks ago you should get an idea of how Ziggy packs them. Just enough water to cover the coral and plenty of air space, double bagged, boxed with peanuts surrounding the corals. The box is lined with styrofoam and there is a heat pack in with the corals.

I have used and still use both peanuts and or newspaper. I would rather use the peanuts though. They work much better at keeping the bags from shifting around in the box. You don't want to put too much water in the bag but you want to have enough to keep the coral covered as the package is moved around. Lining the box with foam is one of the more important things I do when shipping a coral. It keeps the heat in and it adds protection to the corals.

Thanks Ziggy-I got a styrofoam box from the lfs and I've got a huge bag of peanuts so I should be good to go. Oh, and I've also got the heat packs so I think I'm ready. Thanks very much for all of the info. I really appreciate it!

Never ship more than one item in a bag. Always check the forecast for all areas that the container will pass through. Always ship next day air. Make to label the box "live Animals" or "live fish"

I prefer to tripple-bag the corals. Making sure the open ends of the bags are oppisit the one it is covering. I use a couple of rubberbands to close the first two bags and use a plastic zip-tie (the kind used to bundle wirering) on the outside bag. A broken rubberband can spell disaster for the shipment. I also tape the lid to the cooler completely closed and place the cooler in a plastic bag, tied on top before adding it to the shipping box. Heat packs are great, just make sure they are the 10-12hr kind. Place them between the side of the cooler and the packing peanuts and not directly on the corals bags. Also, do not use the peanuts and disolve in water. While I am a huge fan of those for environmental reasons, you do not want a leaky or broken bag to melt the peanuts. I have had the best luck shipping FedEx Express overnight. IF possible, have the receiving party pick up the package at the local hub instead of putting it out on the truck for delivery.

Sorry...I just saw the date of this post and it seems I am a bit late to the party. Anyhoo...maybe someone else can put the tricks here to work.

Not sure if mentioned, but I will add that using small styrofoam squares or circles can be used to hang lps and soft corals to keep them floating in the bag (reduces possible damage), holding them upright (or is that updown) allowing water movement in and around their tissue instead of sitting stagnant at the bottom in their own waste.

Back
Top Bottom