Hurricane Rita--Cat 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I guess most of you have seen already that Hurricane Rita has been update to a Category 5 storm. This is the NBC news wire that came into our station at 16:15 est.

AP-Hurricane Rita URGENT

MIAMI (AP) - The National Hurricane Center says that Hurricane
Rita has strengthened into a top-of-the-scale Category Five storm,
with sustained wind of 165 miles an hour.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

AP-NY-09-21-05 1615EDT

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone down there.

On a side note, if anyone in Houston winds up evacuating to the Dallas area and they don't wanna leave their fish/pets behind but don't know where to go with them.. mi casa es su casa-- in the sense I can house your pets... hehe I would house actual people but its a one bedroom/one den duplex.. but there is plenty of room for little critters!

talloulou said:
8O This is a bad year for these storms! I hope everyone makes it through safely.

No kidding. I used to live in North Carolina and in Florida, so I have seen my share of Hurricanes. I'm sure plenty of other people on here have too, I just can't remember a season like this one.

I used to love hurricanes.

yeah austin is kinda in the line of the storm..for the rains and such. we are supposed to get the rains on saturday. work canceld the party on saturday...

My parents are about 70 miles west of Houston, so I just found out that they are going to get pounded by Rita. :( I'm really worried about it! My dad will be on call at the hospital there so they won't be able to leave! 8O :(

oooh mannn that sucks that they are right in the line of fire that close.. i hope they are alright. the news station just said that it might go to a 3 when it hits land..

My parents are about 70 miles west of Houston, so I just found out that they are going to get pounded by Rita.

I hope they'll be ok. After watching CNN it looks like they'll recieve category 3 hurricane winds.

I think I've heard on TV that patterns of these intense storms can continue for something like 30 years......

Yea but wev'e been in an "upswing" for a few years. They get more and more intense before dropping into a lull for a while (meaning lesser storms). That's what I have heard anyway.

Yea but wev'e been in an "upswing" for a few years. They get more and more intense before dropping into a lull for a while (meaning lesser storms). That's what I have heard anyway.

You're right. I only remembered that there are periods in time in which there are intense hurricanes and that they last for a good amount of time.

Now being classified as potentially 5+ (since there is no category 6)...and possibly the most powerful storm to make US landfall in recorded history unless it loses power soon....my thoughts are with you down in Texas, and I hope that everyone gets out OK.

In case anyone feels the need to properly track this thing:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

does this help the guys harvesting gulf rock down there? I'm imagine not....still curious though as i have no idea what the effects of a couple of cat. 5 hurricanes does to the reefs.

Me too.

I just heard it was now a Category 4. I hope it keeps weakening before it reaches my mom and dad!!! :(

Im in Dallas which is 4 hours away.. and we are expected to have Cat 1 effects up here and possible tornados (the last i heard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom