I got a Job at my LFS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I now work at my LFS, and pretty stoked about the discount fish and equipment, I got my $8.00 SAEs' for $4.00 each! The other good news is the owner is an honest guy who doesn't lie to the customers, so I'm excited about that too!

sweet! will you get dibs on fish you want, too?? that's very exciting.... might be dangerous though.... around all that fish stuff all day.... do i want this? oh, i need this! and this, and that, and this... lol, don't want to hand your paycheck right back to them! :D ... or do you...? lol :)

Congrats! It is always good to have someone who actually knows what they are talking about working at those places. I hate it when I go somewhere and end up teaching the workers things. I should charge them lol

Haha, yes it is a family run business. Not a chain store like Petsmart etc. I won't be spending a lot on gear there. Since I have most of it already. Mostly just fish :D best selection in my area. Also every fish I've bought there never gave me Ich or any other diseases, so I never QT them.

Also every fish I've bought there never gave me Ich or any other diseases, so I never QT them.
Careful... One day you may well regret not quarantining... One good case of say, Callamanus worms, and you'll be wishing it was a simple case of Columnaris.

And if you do ever run into the lil Callamanus buggers... Levamisole is your best friend ;)

better safe than sorry, eh? especially if you have a lot of money invested in your stock...

I would like to work at lfs but my wife said you already hang out there too much. If they pay you then you will never come except to stock tank. I said your right. I need time to explore other lfs. Cant be tied down to just one lfs.

Why Quarantine if they are not sick

You don't always know if they are sick at first. It can take a while for any infections to show up in a fish. Would you want to throw a fish in your tank and have everything die off because it has an internal parasite? IMO you should always QT your fish first

Congrats on the new job! So when can I give you a shopping list?! ;-)

Why Quarantine if they are not sick

when you buy fish they could be carrying something that hasn't shown up yet. it's a good idea to QT them before adding them in with the rest of your fish, because if they end up having something like ich, it will spread to the rest of your fish as well. if it's something worse it could wipe out your whole tank.

edit: lol, didn't see page 2. well, just to drive the point home.... lol

Desacrator,
good replies as to why so far, take heed and always quarantine new fish/inverts and even plants.
Plants can carry snails, algae, parasites and etc, plants can be treated with such as Potassium Permanganate and then introduced.

ChileRelleno said:
***Quarantine
A good quarantine consist of observation and proactive treatment lasting at least two weeks, prefer a month or even longer.

1)Observe prospective feeders at the LFS very closely, appearance, swimming, respiration, feeding and etc...
Any dead/unhealthy fish in the tank or adjacent tank(s), don't buy any.

2)Before introducing to QT, give'em a strong salt dip/bath, this will force many external parasites to drop off the host.

3)For ICH... QT should be kept at 87'-88'F and salted at at least 1tblspn per 5gal, this will eradicate any ICH and some other parasites.

4)For suspected Internal infection/infestations... Feed at least one week with antibacterial food and then at least one week with anti-parasite/protozoan food.

5)During this time observe closely for anything indicative of illness/infestation, treat accordingly with meds or just cull.

A proper QT is alot of work.

Back
Top Bottom