I got bit 0.o

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emi929

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was over my uncles house today and he has a 200gal reef (I know!!) and he has like a ton of fish, but I LOVE his royal gramma, cause I'm 100% freshy, and guppies are the most colorful thing for me lol. But anyways, he was putting a 10lb live rock in, to promote new coral growth since it's been the same old same old for 8 years. I was helping him lower it into the tank to make sure it wouldn't smash anything, and we put it next to a cave. Well I moved my fingers really quick so I wouldn't get my fingers pinched as we put it in, and the gramma was in the cave. It's a royal knucklehead so it decided to open it's freaky mouth like a psycho and bite my ring finger and my pinkie knuckle. Stupid berserk-o fish. I almost fell into the aquarium! (it's 4ft high) it was bleeding A LOT! After I applied pressure with some gauze, it stopped, but my finger is torn up! I actually might need some skin-stitch-glue stuff (DermaBond)!! Omg this is why I stay with fish that don't have evil spaz attacks. 0.0

We have DermaBond, but do you think I could have contracted any kind of disease or something? I don't want to seal it, and end up sealing a disease in it. I know this might sound stupid, but I am literally allergic to seafood, and shellfish, do you think something might happen?? Someone find ChelseaLake, she's a nurse right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Used some and it foamed a ton. Its like 3 or 4 1inch long gashes, and they are as deep as........ The height of a keyboard key on an iPod or IPhone. I know it's a bad analogy, but it's the closest estimate. Or the home button square on an iPod/iPhone/iPad.

Haha I'm an EMT. Jesus! I'm sorry you got bit! Grammas are so cute too! If you start to have trouble breathing or notice any swelling in your mouth/rashes/spots...you could be having a reaction, and you would have to take some diphenhydramine (benadryl or the walmart brand). However, you would have probably had a reaction by now if you were allergic to the fish.

If you're allergic to seafood (iodine allergy?), don't use betadine. It would be a long shot, but that could spark an allergic reaction. It has surgical iodine in it. Just be on the safe side and use a soap with triclosan (Dial). Use a triple antibiotic ointment or bacitracin on it, and cover it until it starts to close up.

You were right to keep that direct pressure on that thing. If it's still bleeding, you might need a stitch or two.

You can contract fish TB or another bacterial infection from the bite, but unless the fish was a confirmed TB case, don't worry about it. Just keep it clean and dry. If something goes wrong, or you have any questions, be sure to see a doctor.

Feel better!

Thank you so much Chelsea!!! I do have an iodine allergy, figured it out while I was having surgery a few years ago! It's still bleeding, changed gauze 3 times after layering it 4 times soaking through. Going over my uncles neighbors house (plastic surgeon) to see if he thinks I need a stitch or two.

And yeah, the saltwater burned SOOOOOO bad. There was some blood in the water and literally EVERY fish came over and started spazzing about around the blood. Good to know they'll eat me alive lol

Yikes! Good catch on the iodine in betadine Chelsea. I used it on a stray cat bite my daughter got and her MD said it was the best. She also put her on a 7 days of antibiotics which is something to consider asking the surgeon about.

Good luck and feel better soon!

Sent from my Epic 4G

Fish TB, vibrio, although possible, are very rare. Just keep an eye on the wound and keep it clean. If you see any signs of infection, see a doctor ASAP.

Hey everyone!!! The plastic surgeon cleaned it, examined it, then had to put 4 stitches total. One for every gash. At least I know it will barely scar though :) thanks for everyones help! I really appreciate it!!

Emi929 said:
Hey everyone!!! The plastic surgeon cleaned it, examined it, then had to put 4 stitches total. One for every gash. At least I know it will barely scar though :) thanks for everyones help! I really appreciate it!!

Hope they heal quickly! Good luck with them, and curse that evil fish! ;)

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Wow! 4 stitches! That lil' bugger must have gotten you GOOD! I had to have stitches on my fingers once. I was making pierogies, and used a wine glass to make them perfectly circle - I pressed too hard and BAM! Glass in 3 of my 5 right hand fingers. I just sat there in shock for a minute. The stitches barely left any scar at all, and healed in like a week. Feel better!!

Omg!! Ow! I LOVE perogies!! Lol

Over the last year and a half, I've had a total of 30 stitches. They hurt when it's super deep though!! At least it was on my arms, and not A sensitive spot like my face or feet.

I love PIEROGIES! Guess it comes with the polish gig. Sorry about your finger. At least you have another story to tell!

-Dylan

Sorry you got bit, how big was the fish?? I thought fairy basslets are really small like 3in or less right?

Emi929 said:

Scar you say? D: Well, there goes any hope of ever becoming a hand model. Sorry pal :( you must be devastated!

You know, being a hand model was my dream, I now can't pursue my amazing career as a hand model, *sigh* jk lol

But you can be the model for untamed and uncut on animal planet ;)

-Dylan

And who would think you'd end up with 4 stitches enjoying one of the most calming, relaxing hobbies around. Haha. Glad you're doing ok.

Back
Top Bottom