I hate how people on here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caveman0777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I hate how people on here don't even talk about anything they just send you links... If I wanted a link I wouldn't be here... So why can't someone just tell me stuff thanks and sorry if this sounds rude or something.

Well, there is definitely a time and a place for a link. If it is a simple topic that has been discussed to death, a link might be the best option.

Of course there are times when topics warrant discussion... but if the question is "What is the nitrogen cycle?" Or "How do I cure Ich?" or the like, a link is what I would choose...

While it can be considered rude... sometimes the best approach is the "Let me google that for you" Let me google that for you :)

The old adage, "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a life time" is often applicable to those new to the hobby...

Your claim seems to be a pretty sweeping generalization about the quality of this site. I see thoughtful discussion on here constantly... it could just be the questions that are being asked that are provoking the unwanted response in this case.

Last edited:
+1 with fort384.

Speaking for me... I generally send links to reinforce the advice I gave.

OR

When giving advice requires more typing than I'm in the mood for. In such case, I at least say ... Check the link below .... Hope this helps!

Here's a link to answer you question:

Www.just kiiiiiiding.com

But in all seriousness, a lot of what Fort says holds true. Often times what people want, isn't what you can Google search, but someones actual experience. If that is the case with your frustration, take the time to make a note in the post saying specifically for prior experience with your problem :)

I will say though, as a person who tries to answer many posts, the opposite also holds true. I will sometimes find myself frustrated by posts on here. Posts by people that a simple Google search would have answered.

I always use links because they can explain it a whole lot better than I can. You ought to be thankful for links. I know I am.

No offense but I would be grateful that someone took the time to answer a question of mine whether it's a link or personal experience, and I certainly would not openly criticize them with regards to their methods.

Last edited:
After looking thru some of your threads, it seems to be that you have ben only given links AFTER the member tried to explain the topic the best he or she could. After that, they would put up a link as reading material, or just to reinforce what has been said. In general, out of the 20ish threads youve made, i think you have only gotten around 6 links...

Also, you were given the links (i know, how many times can i say link?) on hard to comprehend topic...such as cycling, crossbreeding, setting up tanks, etc.

You cant judge the integrity of the sight based on the sole fact that people are trying their best to help you...

I use links all the time becuase just as melosu58 said links can explain what I am trying to get at better than my rambling..I tend to go off on random tangents at times.

This thread would have been better if we knew a more specific reason why you started it, rather than just a random generlaization of what we are "doing wrong" according to one person. if someone offers you help and you don't like it, post up if anyone else has any other suggestions. Its better than creating a thread that knocks us down for trying to help you. Just my 2 cents...

As much as I would like to keep my mouth shut on this topic as recently I had read the thread on trying to not shoo away new members, I hate when random people post a thread just to attract attention and their thread just happens to be a negative one.

Edit: also see how I went off on tangents...

Folks lets do our best to focus on the topic of discussion here rather than focus the attention on any single individual. debate and discussion is a good thing but let's leave any personal attacks out of it.

I'm with everybody else in saying just be thankful that people are taking time out of their OWN fishkeeping to help you along with YOURS. Links or not. It still takes time to find what link they are looking for, ya know? And maybe that very link answered a question for them in the past and they found it to be extremely helpful. Thus, passing it along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks lets do our best to focus on the topic of discussion here rather than focus the attention on any single individual. debate and discussion is a good thing but let's leave any personal attacks out of it.

Personal attacks are hard to avoid when one person makes a general attack on several members of the community.

With that said...OP wouldn't it be better to receive any form of help than none at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually they really aren't. Let's leave them out or the thread will have to be closed. I would rather have an honest, but friendly discussion.

fort384 said:
Actually they really aren't. Let's leave them out or the thread will have to be closed. I would rather have an honest, but friendly discussion.

You tell em Fort.

This is a community to help people. Not attack. If you have a different opinion on the matter, courteously bring up your side. Everyone has different viewpoints on here and that's what makes this place great. But we don't want to snuff someone else's opinion out because it's not what we think.

In my opinion sometimes having a link works to my advantage, especially when dealing with cycling, fish profiles etc. sometimes a question can be answered simply with a few posts from other users and other times it might require me referring back to it a few times for missed information. That is why people write articles for the site. There are quite a few great articles on the site that I have referred back to many times that helped me along the way with information that people may or may not include when answering questions.

Back
Top Bottom