I hate my neighbors *pulls out hair*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
My roomy and I have lived in these wonderful apartments for the last year. Our lease is up at the end of this month.. and a month ago two total CREEPS moved in below us. The first two weeks they were here.. they had 4 parties. Ashley (my roomy) and I had to go down there on several occasions to tell them to be quiet. Okay, the apts we live in are kinda like town homes- there are four apts per brick building and they are inclosed. So when you push open the main door you see the staircase and the four apt doors. Well, one night they had 15+ over with their FRONT DOOR open playing ping pong and being loud at about 1am. Now, it takes a lot to get me mad, and I do have a temper.. and sparks were flying. Now the guy got mad at ME for "coming into his home" (i wasn't even in his apt i was in the hallway) and telling him what to do. I thought he was going to hit my boyfriend and it was just horrible. So from here on out we just call the courtesy officer. I mentioned something briefly to our landlord about it, and she gave them a call and had a talk about "breach of contract"- they had a party either that night or the following night (can't remember which). They have been here for a month now.. we have had to go down there at least 10 times (most of which they just laughed), called the courtesy officer on them 4 times (for valid times.. sometimes they weren't doing enough to be called on but were still being loud and annoying) and the landlord has talked to them. One night, there were people on our balcony on OUR BALCONY (there is a staircase that leads up to the balcony). And to put the icing on the cake. Last night (July 8th) our neighbors shot off fireworks at 1 am. I was so mad I left for my bf's apartment but apparently at 2:30am my roommate woke up to drunk people being loud in the lawn.

*snarl* I hate our neighbors.

Unfortunately everyone has to have dealings with people that are unreasonable and don't give a damn about anyone else. :evil: . It took me quite a few fights to realize that the worst thing one can do is continually confront these people on their own.

Here's what I would do Katy. Write a letter to your landlord detailing the episodes. If possible, have your other neighbors sign it. In the letter you can threaten to withhold rent, but state that that is a last resort. Your landlord should also know that a copy of this letter is also being sent to your local police. I don't know what a courtesy officer is but it doesn't sound like they would have the needed authority.

Do this, and I'll bet you see things quiet down.

did i spell courtesy wrong? Ive never been good at spelling. A courtesy officer is a cop on duty (who lives in the apts) and if you call the msg center about a disturbance like a party or what have you, he will come to the door in his uniform and get mad or something.

Well my roomy and I plan to go down there this morning and talk to the landlord. We gave up on confronting them. The only reason the "fight" ever happened is because I happened upon it and couldn't keep my cool. With holding rent is a good idea (last resort). Our land lord is a really awesome lady so hopefully she will take care of it when we go down there and talk to her in person

lyquidphyre said:
did i spell courtesy wrong?

Nope, just wanted to know what one was.

Popular quotes by a courtesy officer:

"Always work outside to inside with your fork settings"

"Put the seat down when you're finished"

"Say please"

"Pass to the left and don't bogart the stash"

Why dont you hit them where it hurts?? If they wake you up when you are trying to sleep, you could be a little louder than normal when you get up the next morning. Thats what I used to do at my girlfriends old place and it did start to let up. The best part is that you arent doing anything wrong by being loud in the mornings, the same time when they are trying to sleep off the hangover, and youll start to get to them. I would also keep talking to the landlord about it, eventually they will have to do something about it. Good luck, keep us posted 8O

Accidentally drop things, like 5 lb weights in the bedrooms, metal baking pans in the kitchen, shampoo bottles in the tub.... :twisted:

Ooh; This has the makings of a movie plot! Get back at the bums! And that "being loud in the morning" is a great symbolic "kicking them where it hurts"!

If you band enough neighbors together, you can all play loud music in the morning while they're trying to "sleep it off". Evil! :twisted:

I had that happen to me once--I was working first shift, and I swear my downstairs neighbors didn't work at all! There was constant partying until the early AM. The landlord basically told us tough luck. So one Saturday morning I got up about 7AM, laid my full size speakers on the floor, and played Pantara really really loudly until they came upstairs. I answered the door and was like "Loud? Really? Wow, these walls must be paper thin!"

That night their music was even louder. Another neighbor called the cops, and the partiers blamed me. Long story short, a long drawn-out battle ensued between me and the neighbors, and didn't end until I moved out six months later.

The way I see it, this can be avoided by:

A: moving to a different apartment and relying on luck
B: saving money and buying a house, or
C: what I did recently, spend more money for a better apartment in a better neighborhood

Of course, none of these options are 100% effective. I moved into half of a double in a much better neighborhood, but our downstairs neighbors are very loud arguers--and they argue at least once a day. :roll: Oh well, I think everyone needs to pay their dues-- :lol: so they can say to their children and grandchildren--"you think you got it tough? When I lived in apartments..."

Sorry, I'm rereading my post and seeing that it's not very helpful :( . Good luck with your situation!

Well, we are getting keys to the house on thursday but have until the end of the month. After going to my 11 yr old little sister's best friends birthday party and watching her on a pogo stick... I got this idea. Im gunna have my sister and her best friend spend the night, feed them candy, let them play Britney Spears and any other c*ap music that has bass, jump on their pogo sticks, let them run, jump, prance around the apartment and when and if the courtesy officer comes Ill be like "Sorry im babysitting" *grin*

My dad was like "you are only going to be there for another few weeks"

I want revenge.. I want sweet sweet revenge

I feel for you really I do.
Before we moved into our new house we lived in a duplex for a year and a half. For a year and 5 months it was great, then we got new neighbors. Now I am a very tolerant person, I mean it is New Orleans so you have to expect a level of craziness. I've lived through lots of things and tolerated them and nothing compares to these guys. To start with they were in a band, that practiced 2 hours every other day. Ok, fine I can deal with that. However, they played techno music about 10 hours of the day, every day, on their amplifiers at ungodly levels. Imagine trying to study or go to sleep or even watch TV through that. And every day it was the same---at 5 in the afternoon it came on(when they woke up), and was pretty much constant until midnight(when they went out to the clubs), but what was worse was that at about 4 AM they would turn it on again for a couple of hours. I tried everything. I called the cops, I called the landlord, I pleaded with them, I tried politely asking them, I threatened them(and I'm 6 foot 4 and an athlete--threats always work for me), and I even tried to get back at them. Nothing worked. After one week I was fed up and in about 3 days we found a house to rent and move into. Luckily we were on a month to month lease and friendly with the landlords and thus had no trouble with the move out. Basically those guys taught me that some people just have no decency and nothing short of moving out will solve the problem. Just feel lucky that you aren't having this happen 1 month into a year long lease.

I would say this, if there is drinking going on at the parties just call the cops, the actual police not the courtesy cops, and keep calling them(basically annoy the cops until until they break up the party). Also if you know your neighbors tell them to do the same thing. There's nothing like having cops at your party every 30 minutes to kill the party atmosphere. Plus the cops get annoyed at being called all the time and since they can't take it out on you they will take it out on the party goers. However this does not work well in some large cities like New Orleans, LA, NY, etc. where the cops only respond to robberies, rapes, and murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom