I seriously can't believe this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought pretty much everything (hardware wise) that I need to set up a 75G tank. At this point all I need is the tank itself. I asked my parents and NOW all of a sudden I'm not allowed to spend money on fish or anything. GAH! I spend a ton of money on stuff to make it work and now I won't be able to use any of it till I get my own place. This sucks :mad:. They could have ATLEAST said not to buy the stand and the equipment!! Last time they said no it wasn't serious, but this time it is.

So, until I buy a car (because that's what they want me to do instead) I will have to make room in my closet for the equipment I bought and sell the stand at a garage sale or something.

(Sorry if this is a random rant xD. None of my friends care about my fishy woes.

Parents are humans (sort of) too and have their mood swings. I wouldn't rush to sell anything. Let it sit and fester and maybe their minds will change :)

I have a feeling they won't enjoy looking at the stand sitting there... Only one thing to do, buy a tank! :D

oh well...

give your parents sometime and maybe they willcome around maybe they are just trying to look out for your future and are figuring that you will use a car a lot more than you will a tank.

Good Luck

I'd hang on to the stuff. Make the stand a microwave stand or a nightstand. :) I'd give it some time like the others said and maybe they'll come around.

Well how old are you? Old enough to drive. So just have a little patience. You've got your whole life to get upset over more important things.

I've been saving money for a house ever since I was 18 (I'm 23) and so have had to be patient. All I have is a 3 gallon, it sucks but I'll get what I want with......patience.

Dude fill it up and say to them you don't like it empty it

and then laugh in a evil laugh maaaaahhhhhhhhh

okay probably not a good idea but hopefully it made you smile

:)

Dont worry. I am still somewhat young and at home still and my parents said the same thing. But i have always owned small fish tanks sitting im my room which it seems you always have. They wanted me to also save for a car. So I did what they told me and eventually they came around and let me get my dream tank. A 90 gallon corner bowfront tank. They allowed me to do this with a compromise. I have to downsize on the tanks in my room but it is worth it. Parents can be weird some times. Besides, like everyone else said, don't get rid of anything. Just turn the stand of the tank into a night stand or something. Because 1 of 2 things is gonna happen.#1-Your parents will come around and tell you that if you are responsible they will let you set it up.#2-They will not let you and you will have a OMEGA long night stand until they let you or until you move out.Never give up and never surrender.

i feel for you. i somehow managed to get a 64 gallon but my mom hates "the mess it makes" lol why cant they see it our way?

You should just start putting unsightly things on top of the stand, like your dirty laundry or other undesireable things for viewing pleasure. Then, when they complain, just mutter how a tank would be much more appeasing to the eye LOL. They will come around and understand though dont worry. I came back from college and my parents hit the fan after the first week when they saw the humidity increase in the house, but they remain supportive of my addiction.

Sorry to hear that. As a mom I have to say that you really need to listen to your parents :(

Do what you're supposed to do, be respectful and don't get rid of your stuff just yet. Store it somewhere. Wait a couple of months and maturally present to them the idea of the fish tank.

Did they give you any reasons why you can't put the fish in there? Was it the cost of the electricity to run the filters maybe?

You need to understand their reasons to have any hope of changing the situation.

Before I got my new pets,my parents told me that they will buy me a big and fancy tank for my birthday. My dad told me that it can't be in my room because of various reasons so we decided on a good spot for it in the living room but now Oak and Blossom (my new pet birds (budgies) that I always wanted) are settled in that spot. Plus, I would want a bigger bird ( sulphur crested cockatoo, any bird twice or more the size of a budgie, also twice the money) than an aquarium. My parents prefer my aquarium hobby better because theres no mess and birds talk all the time so I told my dad that I like petting my pets (we have a cat, aquarium and budgies) and then he told my that you don't have to touch, you can just enjoy and watch. That does not apply to me. Anyways, sorry about your situation. No offense, but I think that your parents are right. If you setup the tank now and move in a year you're going to have a tough time moving your aquarium into your new house. It will also stress the fish. Again, no offense.

Back
Top Bottom