I think i am an addict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChefSLC

Aquarium Advice Regular
So yeah.... 1 year ago, my daughter wanted a fish tank for potty training. She was 2 and so my wife and i said why not.

We purchased a 5 gallon tank and some fish. I never took care of any till that point. I never really dis much on that tank either. Surprisingly i only killed 1 fish about 5 months ago.

Now my real addiction started in October. My uncle was moving and needed a place for his 36 bowfront. We housed it for a month and then he said to keep it. Me being the person that i am, i had to get some cichlids. Well this was disaster for an uneducated person like me. I did some research and got rid of all the stock. I then went all natural with plants and driftwood.

I love my tank!

Today, well yesterday since its 2 am, my daughter said she wanted a bigger tank. So being the addict i am i went and bought a new light for my bowfront. A nice finnex ray 2. Then went and bought 30 lb of a beautiful white sand, and the a 20 long. While at work i cleaned all my sand and just could not wait till tomorrow so i could set it up while my wife was at work. Especially since i did not consult the boss on this.

Then about 1 hr before the end of my shift i remembered she does not work in the morning. Well [mod edit] i said! After a bit of thought and consultation with my co workers i decided that i could setup the tank tonight.

So for the last 3 hrs i have setup and replaced the 5 gallon in my daughters room without waking her. I really cannot wait to see her reaction in the morning when she see her new huge fishtank.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds awesome. She should love it. What are you going to stock it with?
The addiction only gets worse....

Sounds like a fun ride! So where's the ray 2 going?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah it will be even funner when the wife sees it.

As for stocking i plan on cories and guppies, though the cories will be a bit later once i plant it.

The ray 2 goes on my bowfront. Then the t8 will go on the 20L.

Can't wait to hear about their reactions. Good luck with the plants. They are like potato chips, you can't just have one type of plant in your tank.

Edit: Welcome to the addiction. I'm wanting to turn my new 10 gal quarantine into a planted beta tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So the reaction from my daughter was as i expected. She came running out of her room yelling " my fishtank is big!" This reaction was well worth the $70 i spent on the setup.

The wife was "fine" with it. But i did get in the doghouse just a little. She tild me she hates my fish obsession.

Wait till my new light shows up and i have to get a co2 sysytem

The spouse got me a 29g kit as a gift 11 years ago so if there are any 'comments' I just say he's to blame :lol:

So the reaction from my daughter was as i expected. She came running out of her room yelling " my fishtank is big!" This reaction was well worth the $70 i spent on the setup.

The wife was "fine" with it. But i did get in the doghouse just a little. She tild me she hates my fish obsession.

Wait till my new light shows up and i have to get a co2 sysytem

No offense man but you have a weird wife.. My wife supports all my obsessions and hobbies as I accept hers.. I would never marry or date someone who tells me what I can and cannot have or do what I want to do.

I see guys who have GF and wives like this all the time and its a no brainer why people get divorced

I think your spouse sounds normal. Wonderful to hear about your daughter's reaction! Priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My gf hates my fish stuff too, i can't stand when she files her nails.. it's a give and take..

I get in trouble off my parents for all the money I spend on fish but I always just turn it back onto my dad who is really into his home brew. If he gets a hobby then I get mine. He grows hops I grow aquatic plants. Simple.

I get in trouble off my parents for all the money I spend on fish but I always just turn it back onto my dad who is really into his home brew. If he gets a hobby then I get mine. He grows hops I grow aquatic plants. Simple.

You guys should be bonding on co2 by now;)

Great story man! It's always worth it to see the look on a child's face of sheer joy. Your wife will get used to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My husband has actually told me he was going to divorce me because if the fish tank! ?

In 2 years I have gone from 6g to 8g to 20g to finally a 75g

I have 3 tanks right now....I'm addicted ?

Me too! Well, three in a year. My husband knows a 4th is coming this year for his Oscar baby (that's the trick ;) get em into it too) I'm counting the days till my kids are raised so I can jump into saltwater LOL!

Back
Top Bottom