If Aiptasia Anenomes are animals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
then why is it okay to murder them...

when you wouldn't murder a healthy fish?

murder is a strong word, it's a legal definition that isn't applicable to fishkeeping.

I don't know much about SW stuff but it's not unusual for creatures that are considered pests to get the axe. Roaches are animals and they get sprayed with poison. The list goes on and on. And what about live foods?

Yeah, you're totally right, I'm just curious what people have to say. I know I've squished snails from a snail infestation, but why is this considered okay and not for fish? What's the difference? =] Opinions welcome!

for me it's a bonding thing. I've put a hook through fish larger than most of what I keep and tossed them out as live bait without a second thought, yet I couldn't imagine doing that to a fish that I keep as a pet.

The difference is they are not furry and cute. There is no such things as equal rights for animals.

To me, it's pretty simple. They take over your tank (much like various snails in fw) and pose a nasty threat to coral and other inverts, sometimes even the fish. If you don't take care of them, they will spread like wildfire until the point where you have a tank full of useless rock that isn't exactly cheap. I hope this answers your question, or at least helps you understand why they aren't wanted.

thominil said:
To me, it's pretty simple. They take over your tank (much like various snails in fw) and pose a nasty threat to coral and other inverts, sometimes even the fish. If you don't take care of them, they will spread like wildfire until the point where you have a tank full of useless rock that isn't exactly cheap. I hope this answers your question, or at least helps you understand why they aren't wanted.

+1!

That's a good point, at it applies to freshwater parasites too. It's interesting how we prioritize forms of life. =] But I guess that's the way the world is, and I'm definitely not going to put my fish in an environment where they're susceptible to ich,let's say, just for the sake of the parasite's life cycle, animal or not!

I think this is an intriguing philosophical question... we advocate against inhumane treatment of fish all the time (fishless cycling, responsible euthanasia, water changes)... but then we advocate smushing snails with tweezers, injecting aptasia with lemon juice, etc. The live food thing is a little different... at least that is a natural thing. But you are right. It makes me think.

I think this is an intriguing philosophical question... we advocate against inhumane treatment of fish all the time (fishless cycling, responsible euthanasia, water changes)... but then we advocate smushing snails with tweezers, injecting aptasia with lemon juice, etc. The live food thing is a little different... at least that is a natural thing. But you are right. It makes me think.

Indeed. Do you think it has to do with the fishes' capacity to feel pain?

What if nems feel pain too? How do we know snails don't feel pain as their shell is crushed in to their slimy little body? Don't you feel terrible about crushing snails now? I know I would.

LOL. I am not sure if it really involves the feeling of pain for me personally. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for the saving of snails and other pests, but it does present a philosophical dilemma of sorts.

I've always felt bad about crushing snails, but I did feel that it was more humane than using a snail killing chemical...

I didn't start this thread to get on anyone, as I would be a hypocrite if I did...but mfd is right... the snails and the anemones might feel pain too.

If that's the case, then mfd, would you allow your tank to be infested if you had a saltwater tank? And how is treating parasites different, just out of curiosity?

No, I wouldn't. Just like I have no bad feelings about killing pest insects like wasps, ants, etc... I don't go killing butterflies or pretty songbirds, but I'll kill blackbirds if they start picking in the garden. It's just life. I dont kill snails, because I find them beneficial, but I dont knock anybody for doing so.

It's not fair, but you're right--it's life. Every time I feed my glass catfish live brine shrimp I'm making that decision.

I guess I'm okay with that, though.

i dont like smashing snails because its kinda icky. I can step on a small bug, but not something crunchy like a beetle, lol.

It's not much different than when I go out collecting natives. I bring a fishing pole with me most of the time, and sometimes I even catch something worth bringing home for the dinner table. The only difference between the fish I'm putting in the live well and the ones I'm putting in the cooler is that I see one type as food rather than a pet.

i dont kill snails in my tank,the shrimp and cray do that for me.they get live food,i dont get overrun,perfect system.

Back
Top Bottom