ill never drink cheep vodka again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
grain alcohol for bacteria growth, hmmmmm.... I dunno, that sounds a lot like the myth about urinating in your tank to start the ammonia cycle to me

macman7010 said:
grain alcohol for bacteria growth, hmmmmm.... I dunno, that sounds a lot like the myth about urinating in your tank to start the ammonia cycle to me

Neither is a myth, although there are better ammonia sources for cycling.

Try some Weinstephaner Korbinian Dark. Much better than guiness. Should be, since the monks have been brewing continuously since the dark ages, literally and no pun intended (brewery started in year 1024).

I was at a boring wedding a few years ago, and ordered a vodka seven up. The bartender says, what kind of vodka, and rattles off six or seven types they have. I don't know, so I instruct him to start with the bottle on the left, and work his way to the right with each one I order. I managed to sample them all, some more than once. From what I remember, Absolute was the winner, with grey goose a close second. Can't remember the names of the others, wonder why.

I know that urea is ammonia that has been chemically altered to no longer be ammonia, so urinating in a tank is no benefit but is definitely gross. I would love to hear the chemical or biologic basis for alcohols helping the cycle, if anyone knows one.

Neither is a myth, although there are better ammonia sources for cycling.
Toirtis-
How does the urea get converted back into ammonia in a new tank? Urea being CO(NH2)2 . I haven't heard of nitrosomas type bacteria being able to metablolise urea, so something else would have to convert it to ammonia first, making the addition of ammonia a much better choice. Would a new tank have sufficient bacteria to convert urea into ammonia? In soil, this happens quickly, so I suppose tap water might have the bacteria to do it too.

Even if it would work, its still gross!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom