Impulse buys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
We've all purchased a fish on impulse once or twice. Tell me what fish it was and how it turned out. I got some river gobies and they lived a long life.:fish2:

I bought rummy nosed tetras. All but 2 died. I didn't realize my high pH was such a bad thing. I love them though. I need to get about 5 more since I've gotten my pH under control. (7.6/7.8 was at 8.3!)

I got some rummy nose tetras too but I didn't realize they were so delicate.

bettaowner said:

I was told by the sales guy they were hardy... Yeah right. I was able to get store credit though so that was good.

One of my first fish was a Paradise fish... he's lived through QUITE a bit over the past two years or so. Others, not so lucky... :/

my newest crowntail betta. i saw his unique colors and couldn't pass it up, he would have died in that little cup on the shelf!

Not sure I want to admit this but about 8 years ago, I wanted to start a small aquarium, and by that I mean 10 gallons. Cannot remember exactly what I had first but I found out that the tiny little "dinosaur eels" that were so cute at Wal-Mart (their fish section closed and our local pet store changed hands and bought all their tanks when that and the gun section left town plus the lfs changed into a kick-azz fish/live reef showcase extravaganza...plus they brought in a lot less rodent/bird factor ugh) WOULD NOT ONLY EAT OTHER FISH but also ONE ATE THE OTHER ONE. Then he quadrupled in size. Twice. Maybe more.

I guess I was the classic "did no research whatsoever before jumping in with both feet". I am really trying to become more educated about fishkeeping at this point, and am constantly learning all sorts of great things on this forum. Bear with me. o_O.

Now I love the "eels" a lot, with all their quirks.

The pleco story will have to wait for another time :p

I think I impulsed buy on some platies. Apart from that the rest I had researched before I got them.

Got a Molly and a Cory for my ten. Then got a pair of guppies to add to the herd at the same time I got two more cories. 50 young guppies, seven adults, three cories, and a snail(rehomed my molly) in a ten. Great job, me

A pair of iridescent sharks that I was assured would be fine in my 29G for years before they needed to be put in a bigger tank. They tripled in length in a month at which point I knew I was in trouble...I was almost glad when I lost them in a ick outbreak.

The first and last time I bought I fish I hadn't research at least moderately.

Umm, I actually did just impulse buy *blush* my husband (non-fish addict) wanted it and I thought hey not soo Bad. South American Bumblebee catfish, It chases my cories, never eats, never see it. Its is actually the good one, not the one that gets to be a foot. but you never know :nono:, So it stays hidden. just takes up bio space, and no food. have yet to see it eat,
but my ghost shrimp keep disappearing:ermm:?
Plus a 10 full of pretty guppies, I just had to have!!! :angel:

Love my hubby!!

When I was younger, about ten years old, and knew nothing about fish keeping I got a huge gold gourami for my ten gallon tank from Kmart. Back when they still had those tall chrome walls of fish tanks in their stores if the old timers remember.

It did not go well for the poor gourami. He passed within a week and almost took every other fish with him in the process of dying wedged behind a rock and rotting for two days before I noticed.

I feel a little better now. I usually research my fish right after I get home to make sure I didn't make a mistake. My biggest blunder would have to be getting a green spotted puffer to put in my 2 gallon freshwater tank. My LFS told me it would be ok so it's not really my fault.

bettaowner said:

Lol I don't test or do water changes (don't shun me lol) but I bought five of those boogers and they absolutely love my fifty gallon tank I had no idea they were delicate lolol

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Lol I don't test or do water changes (don't shun me lol) but I bought five of those boogers and they absolutely love my fifty gallon tank I had no idea they were delicate lolol

How do you not test or do water changes??

Nu-Nu the eel said:
How do you not test or do water changes??

:hide: ok here's me story my friend got me into fish cuz his dad gave me a ten gallon with a overgrown feeder... I then bought a filter a heater and alight from a yard sale and made a livable space :) I then continued to tweak and expand what I have and when my friends dad found out he took me under his wing and has helped me get a saltwater tank twice and basically I do what he says he never told me I had to test except to test the salinity and never said anything bout water changes and for me what he says goes... And honestly I don't have time I work two jobs a lot of the time one after another and when I don't work I try to go see my dad so my tank thrive so I'm happy because I can see my fish happy they grow eat and I rarely ever lose them so I'm doing something right

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
:hide: ok here's me story my friend got me into fish cuz his dad gave me a ten gallon with a overgrown feeder... I then bought a filter a heater and alight from a yard sale and made a livable space :) I then continued to tweak and expand what I have and when my friends dad found out he took me under his wing and has helped me get a saltwater tank twice and basically I do what he says he never told me I had to test except to test the salinity and never said anything bout water changes and for me what he says goes... And honestly I don't have time I work two jobs a lot of the time one after another and when I don't work I try to go see my dad so my tank thrive so I'm happy because I can see my fish happy they grow eat and I rarely ever lose them so I'm doing something right

So I'm confused... Yu dont test or do water changes?!?! I'm pretty sure fish will need water changes to survive. If I were you I'd do at least 20% per week and get yourself a API tester kit.

Samzter said:
So I'm confused... Yu dont test or do water changes?!?! I'm pretty sure fish will need water changes to survive. If I were you I'd do at least 20% per week and get yourself a API tester kit.

Not to burst anyone's magical bubble, but I've been a very successful aquarist and have been keeping fish for around 10+ years. I don't test my water. I do weekly water changes though.

I actually have a 29g right now with 7 Rummys, no casualties and the are very happy. But I couldn't tell you for the life of me what my parameters are!

That being said, I'm delving into the land of intense planted tanks. That means I will be testing water soon as I need to know individual parameters for specific plant needs.

I do advise doing water testing as it can tell you if something is off with your water and what fish would thrive best, but I've been just fine without it.

Back
Top Bottom