Insurance Rider?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coco1019

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fried who works for an insurance company tell me that I needed to add a rider to my coverage in case of any leaks.

So, I contacted my company and they said that was correct. It wouldn't cover the contents but it would cover any damage to personal items, electronics and floor damage, including the floors below if needed (we have a 4 story and it's on the second).

It's not a huge tank, 55 gallons, but if it bursts, it is near several expensive pieces of electronics.

Do any of you have separate insurance or riders? May I ask what the premiums are? I want to make sure I don't get screwed.

Hmm this is interesting. I do not have a separate rider for my aquarium. I will need to look into this also.

Wouldn't surprise me, flooding, leaks and water damage is a very difficult / complex part of a home owners policy. Is the water damage in the wall due to a slow drip by drip leak over years? Not covered. Or did a pipe just burst? Covered.
This was an example of a scenario my father in law had years ago. Luckily for him, it got covered.

My homeowners covers any damage if a tank falls over or leaks while I'm away in the basic policy. It's a simple property loss.

No rider or special coverage needed.

Do they make you buy special coverage to pay for a burst pipe as well? Sounds like a nickel and dime type of company or policy to make you buy separate additional coverage for something as common as a fish tank.

Better review the entire policy letter by letter to make sure you aren't paying for a policy that is almost useless for other losses as well.

Be interesting to see how many in my general area had adequate flood insurance. Some people in a Zone B in NYC got a rude surprise when 9+ feet of water flooded their homes. I was hearing on TV they didn't need flood ins since they were not in an immediate flood zone. Also heard they didn't have a mandatory evacuation. Also be interesting to see what will become of this as there's bound to be investigations, inquiries etc.

Well, I rent so it's probably different. The rider (my insurance was through Fidelity) covered replacement to the structure even though it's not my home. My husband said that when he was young and his mom rented apartments, tenants had to get that kind of coverage if they had waterbeds. I'm thinking it may be the same type of thing.

I did a google search and it's not uncommon. Other people have posted about it on message boards.

ETA : I did end up changing companies and going with one that had it in the coverage already through USAA.

I've heard of insurance riders for waterbeds, but not fish tanks. I could see where you would need one for renting, though.

Renter's policy makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Back
Top Bottom