Is aquarium obsession normal? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, my name's Dave and I'm an aquarist. I'm about two months into this hobby after starting it on a whim. Is it normal in this hobby to be completely obsessed with getting your tank cycled an doing tons of research any chance you get?

I even find myself visiting my LFS even though I might not need anything.

I'm just hope it doesn't get so bad that I hear, "Why does Daddy love the fish tank more than me?" :)

Yes, yes it is.. ....
Pretty soon you will also develop the dreaded MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) and your spouse will start becoming suspicious that you are looking for places to justify new aquariums.

But my spouse is wrong. My 5-year-old TOTALLY needs an aquarium in his room. :angel:

I started with one tank and now have 7. Also, I spent over $500 in the hobby and its been about a year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most of the stuff I have is used stock tanks. I have yet to go all out on lighting for all seven. Or actually 5 are planted so 5 :,( but in time I am sure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha... Ok, good to know I'm in like-minded company. Although, I must say, compared to my other interests, this hobby isn't that expensive, once you have the gear you need.

Totally normal! But I have a fishroom, so....

I've been dreaming about one of those...

But yeah, it is pretty normal I guess. Someone on here has/had the signature, "I got an aquarium as a mid-life crisis purchase because it's more acceptable than an affair and less expensive than a sports car."

:lol:

I actually am pretty immune to it though. :hide:
I only have two tanks, and I don't appreciate my non-planted one enough.

I think it's perfectly normal! Nope I haven't had a psychological evaluation yet. My wife seems to think I'm crazy but eh, I like it so who cares!

Hi my name is jacq and I suffer from MTS. I started in November getting back into tanks with my 1 30gallon. I now have 4 and my dates with my bf include going to the petstores and buying things for tanks that we don't even have.

Hi yes I'm Leanne and I'm practically on my way to having mts.. My bf got me my first tank and now I have another and I'm looking around the house to see where I can put another one.. Opppssss

Don't worry you're fine.
My fiance and I live with my mother in law so we essentially have one room for us, the cat, and our pet rats, plus all the stuff that goes along with it. I started with a 1.5g tank with a betta in it and four tanks later am out of room. I recently decided to try putting our opaque betta cicle in our community (30g) because he's blind and I'm hoping it won't be a big problem...plus it means we have room for another betta!

Hi yes I'm Leanne and I'm practically on my way to having mts.. My bf got me my first tank and now I have another and I'm looking around the house to see where I can put another one.. Opppssss

You can stack tanks on top of each other with some basic stand building skills. If you have a high ceiling you could easily fit 2-3 tanks in the space where you have 1 sitting right now ;)

You can stack tanks on top of each other with some basic stand building skills. If you have a high ceiling you could easily fit 2-3 tanks in the space where you have 1 sitting right now ;)

My bf will love that and it's given me lots of ideas lol

Think I'll have to start saving for an extension to get my own fish room .. I'd be sat in there all the time.. Lol

I love going into pet stores and looking at the fish and the deco. I will take pictures of fish and deco I like for future reference. I pre plan and draw out my set-up before I rearrange the aquarium. ... I draw out different designs with different sets of deco for different seasons. ...my eyes are always on the lookout for perfect rocks that could be used. O man. Addicted aquaholic for sure! I upgraded my 35 gallon to a 75 gallon and I'm trying to convince my hubby that we NEED both tanks. Lol

I don't have a kitchen anymore. It's full of holding tanks and now several plastic containers of quarantined plants. Started 2 gallon, 3 gallon, 10 gallon ( ready to go but not set up) and I keep eyeing a 29 gallon at my LFS.

Can't pass a pet store without looking at their rocks and driftwood. And, of course their fish, which is why I want that 29 gallon.

BTW. Mariano's Grocery store is great for letting you get a few empty containers from their trailing bar for free. The large ones are perfect for drip acclimating fish and quarantining plants.
Yes, I think it's an addiction.

Back
Top Bottom