Is it safe to consume goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penncentralfan

Aquarium Advice Regular
My goldfish is about 12 inches and very old. I can tell it's starting to slow down and I was thinking of eating my goldfish instead of burying it or throwing it away so it becomes a part of me. I was thinking of preparing it as a filet. I won't just cook the whole fish. I think I'm going to use some carp recipes from some eastern European friends.

I assume it's as safe as any other fish.

That depends. If its sort of sick, I don't recommend eating. How old is he? Yes, it is as safe as any other fish unless it has been treated with any sorts of meds or anything. I don't recommend eating a sick fish though.

Ok. Just checking. Well, like I said, I don't recommend eating it if its sick and unfortunately most fish get sick before they die.
Are you thinking about just putting it to sleep and then eating it, or letting it love out its natural lifespan?

Its awsome someone brought this up! Im a chef, as is my best bud, and i have a gold fish as well that is huge. We know it will be a while before he passes of nat causes, but we started talking abt our culinary curiousity with eugene (goldfishs name). Pls let me know abt your experience with that.

It was a popular fad in the 40's and 50's to eat live goldfish. Never heard of anyone coming down with ich or fin rot

you wouldn't want to eat a pet fish... at some point it was treated with medication to sedate it (in this case a looooog time ago) and other medication for anything from killing algae (that would be a herbicide) to killing snails (cleated copper) would be stored in the fishes tissue.

sorry to pop up out of nowere after 9 years being ofline but I dont see a general chat section of the fourm to say HI! (and I don't know if Im back Im just testing the water)

It is probably not safe if you used water conditioner. On at least one I used it said "not for use with eating fish"

If you have eaten carp the meat is probably a lot like that. I don't care for carp personally and I would never think about eating a pet.

I don't know about u but to me it sounds healthier than what goes into beef or poultry

Back
Top Bottom