It' an Edmonds kinda day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyler

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I hail from the Seattle area, and live in a small city just north of the metro area...as many people know, the ports in and around Seattle and fishing are two of it's major contributions to the US, and even the world (the others being lumber and computer technologies)! Anywho...I was out on a walk the other day, and I thought it would be cool to post the things I see.

On this walk, like many of them, I went to the Edmonds water front. This body of water is called the Puget Sound, and is the major artery of the beautiful northwest! (sorry to seem like I'm dumbing it down a lot...I'm just very proud of the northwest, and want people to get a full picture)

The first three pics are
A) a starfish that was caught on the mud flats...there are many colors here! This deep purple, there are bright oranges, and pinks as well
B) an egg collar of a moon snail...it is sand from the sound floor, that is slimed together, and eggs are deposited! At low tide they are EVERYWHERE!!
C) i believe is a dungenous (sp?) crab! When I saw him he was upside down being attacked by a seagull, so I chased the gull away and flipped him back over...this is a picture of him digging back down into the sand...

Attachments

• image-1656982097.jpg
    image-1656982097.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 139
  • image-4272874956.jpg
    image-4272874956.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image-4190778208.jpg
    image-4190778208.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 127
In this set of three:

A) I know its gross, but it startled me cuz I wasnt watching where I was walking, and almost stepped on it! Lol...it's the head of a Ling Cod...it is a rather large temperate salt water fish, that loves hangin out under the fishing wharves and kelp fields we have here in the northwest...btw, his spine was coming out the back...yuck!
B & C) is the a fish at slightly different angles! I'm not sure what he is...I'll do some research and get back to you on this...but man was he fast!!

Attachments

• image-1122115206.jpg
    image-1122115206.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image-2100111276.jpg
    image-2100111276.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 123
  • image-4276527016.jpg
    image-4276527016.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 125
A) Our most prized National symbol...the Bald Eagle!! I know the picture is terrible (stupid iPhone camera), but this most majestic and proud bird is absolutely stunning, and the fun thing to watch is when one flies over head...everyone stops what they are doing and watches it til it disappears...it doesn't matter how many times you've seen one! This bird is beautiful, and in the northwest we are blessed with a large population!! I took this picture from the tide flat about 50 yards away...for those not from around the US, don't even think about hunting it! :) they are protected by our federal government...aka you will go to jail, and you will be fined $1,000,000!! Seriously!
B) is going to take a bit of explaining...lol!! In the Pacific Northwest salmon is a major life force! It provides food, and also money (being a major export) for us...anyways...the partial square is a holding pen for around 30,000 coho smolt (bigger than fry smaller than adult)...these salmon were brought here from my actual hometown of Issaquah, where we actually have a festival celebrating the return of salmon to our streams, and are held here for a 6 month process known as imprinting...the idea is to ingrain the "smell" of this particular part of the sound, so they return to the area and provide the fishermen with food...it is believed that salmon can smell the difference in water and that is how they know where to return to spawn! Salmon always go back to the river system they were born in, to breed...the thing next to the pen, is a male California Sealion...in the Puget Sound all California Sealions are males (not sure why) he was relaxing under the fishing pier I was standing on! Needless to say, a lot of the fishermen were upset he was there!! :)
C) is another shot of the Sealion :) they are also protected by state and federal law, but the fine is not even close to that of our National treasure! :)

Attachments

• image-1725602517.jpg
    image-1725602517.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 114
  • image-539377877.jpg
    image-539377877.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 131
  • image-2026840023.jpg
    image-2026840023.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 142
Haha oh my goodness! Someone actually read this thread?! Or at least looked at the terrible pictures! :) yay!!

Dylan5359 said:
Awesome wildlife.

Ya, I've never seen a sea lion so close (except in an aquarium)...they are usually out in the middle of the sound chillin on buoys :)...

Another delightful walk today!

A) this is how you can tell a Moon Snail got to a shell fish! The hole near the "hinge" is where the moon snail injects digestive juices, that either liquify the shell fish allowing it to be eaten through the hole, or it kills the shell fish so the hinge opens, and becomes clam served chilled on a half shell :)

B) is a moon snail shell! This is what produces the "egg collar" a few posts back, and liquifies many a clam! I believe they can get to be the size of an American Softball, but I usually see them at about the size of a baseball, or for you United Kingdom folk, about the size of a Cricket ball :)

C) is how you can tell a moon snail has been eaten by a seagull! Lol...that is the northwest's most common species of Gull...it is called a Glaucous-winged gull! They are very common, and considered pesky by most residents, but I love the contrast of the grey wing on the white body, with the yellow beak and red spot...the fun part is watching them eat invertebrates! It usually requires a few short flights that climb very quickly with said invert in mouth and a release of said invert to smash on rocks, on the beach bellow :) very funny!

Attachments

• image-2330519253.jpg
    image-2330519253.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 140
  • image-3730326839.jpg
    image-3730326839.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 118
  • image-919229488.jpg
    image-919229488.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 127
A) these two were instigating each other, so I decided to chase them away, and find out what they were eating... And it turned out to

B) the carcass of a ratfish! I thought they swim a little deeper than a gull could dive, but I could obviously be wrong :) of course I left the scene and they came back to finish their meal...

Attachments

• image-2055309232.jpg
    image-2055309232.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3455994725.jpg
    image-3455994725.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 111
A) this is quite literally the city center :) when tourists come through (especially from the east coast) we get called a village...lol! It is very quaint and quiet, and people are genuinely friendly!

B) is Edmonds marina...you see this in almost every city or neighborhood that sits on the sound, and in some cases you see quite a few more than one...I keep waiting for someone to see me walking by, and offer to take me out on their boat, but alas! No such luck...YET! Ha...

C) Is one of the country's first underwater parks! It is 20 acres of underwater playground for scuba divers, and the ocean life that we enjoy so much! The first structure sunk here was a dry dock back in 1936...originally to protect the ferry slip-way from filling in with sand, it was quickly realized that it also provided an artificial "reef" cold water style, and so now every once in a while they will sink boats here in order to build on the artificial landscape...I believe there are something like 10-15 boats downed there now, and when those boats disintegrate they bring in more to sink to keep building! A very cool idea IMO!

Attachments

• image-548835822.jpg
    image-548835822.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 52
  • image-2361829867.jpg
    image-2361829867.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3714519610.jpg
    image-3714519610.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 62
Very nice pictures and info, its a great weekend to enjoy the PWN, I need to go down to the Edmonds waterfront I haven't been down there in awhile.

Last but not least (for today) is one of our beloved Washington State Ferries! This particular route goes from Edmonds to Kingston...it is a 6 mile distance across the sound, and takes about 15-20 minutes...this particular ferry is the "Walla Walla" named after one of the central cities of Washington! Walla Walla is the city that produces much of our apples, our famous onions, and is also the home of our state penitentiary...the ferry is one of the 4 largest in the fleet. It is sister to the Spokane, the Puyallup (pronounced Pew-al-up NOT Poo-ee-lip...lol) and The Tacoma. Each ferry is named after one of two things, a native American reservation, or a city (which quite frankly are mostly named after native American reservations or the actual tribes themselves). In Washington we take the heritage of the Natives VERY seriously, even if we are not natives ourselves...Seattle as a settlement (like many American settlements) wouldn't have survived with out their help...with that said the ferry in Edmonds is quite an old tradition...started before Edmonds was founded in the 1880's it was how settlers got up here from Seattle...I guess I'll add more if I think about it...

Attachments

• image-2445522521.jpg
    image-2445522521.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image-4143619161.jpg
    image-4143619161.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 54
  • image-3927071038.jpg
    image-3927071038.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 55
Mogurako said:
Very nice pictures and info, its a great weekend to enjoy the PWN, I need to go down to the Edmonds waterfront I haven't been down there in awhile.

It's absolutely beautiful, today...the pics could be better though (iPhone...) thanks for the encouragement! I always think it's cool to get the insider view on places, even if I don't ever get to visit! Feels more personal...so I thought I'd share my city with everyone :)

Joyler said:
It's absolutely beautiful, today...the pics could be better though (iPhone...) thanks for the encouragement! I always think it's cool to get the insider view on places, even if I don't ever get to visit! Feels more personal...so I thought I'd share my city with everyone :)

Good idea for a thread people sharing their cities. Unfortunately there isn't to much cool stuff in everett.

Haha...ya Everett...true...haha!! Jk...you have the naval yard! 3 sports teams...

Mogurako said:
I am not much of a sports fan so maybe just 1, well unless I take pictures of my LFS that i go to all the time :)

Haha! Fair enough...sports aren't for everyone

Back
Top Bottom