Know your fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't have much experience with a great deal of fish so I've been researching bits on some fish as best I can every spare minute I can get. Which isn't many!

I thought it might be good for me if any of you could choose a fish of your choice and tell me as much about it as you know. It'd be more fun if you don't research yourself but could share what you know and have learned. It can be as simple as the neon tetra to African cichlids.

Things like where they originate, diet, preferred water conditions etc. bonuses if you know the binomial names and families etc. hopefully I can get a few of you interested and myself as well as others who are interested may learn something really useful.

I look forward to hearing a few different fishes!

Thanks.

Glow light tetra
(Hemigrammus erythrozonus)

Native to South America

Can survive in neutral water with a pH of 7.0 but for breeding I think they like more acidic water. They're very hardy in my experience.

These fish will feed on any foods prepared, frozen, or live

In terms of compatibility, they are great fish. These tetras are very peaceful, look great in a planted tank, and overall don't cause any problems with your typical community fish like other tetras, most live bearers, and corydoras.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Glow light tetra
(Hemigrammus erythrozonus)

Native to South America

Can survive in neutral water with a pH of 7.0 but for breeding I think they like more acidic water. They're very hardy in my experience.

These fish will feed on any foods prepared, frozen, or live

In terms of compatibility, they are great fish. These tetras are very peaceful, look great in a planted tank, and overall don't cause any problems with your typical community fish like other tetras, most live bearers, and corydoras.

Nice! What about sexing? Do you know which parts of South America they originate?

Females are generally plumper. I looked it up and they come from Guyana and the Essequibo river.

Thanks this is good stuff. It's good just to become a little bit familiar with something you know nothing about.

Hopefully others will chime in too.

Bristle nose pleco gets less than 10" isn't that great of an algae eater but better than its larger brother the common one it will be easy to feed it mainly algae wafers but mix with veggies like zucchini and cucumber sometimes some bottom feeder pellets and add some drift wood to keep the ph lower than aa neutral state and plecos are thought to munch on the driftwood to aid in digestion I noticed my plecos doing that a lot they may cling on to larger slow fish like discus or goldfish which shouldn't be kept with so yeah that's much of what i know I like to search up these info as well as I get bored and just wanna learn more bout aquarium fish in case;3

Back
Top Bottom