Large tank upstairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToastyHippie

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I'm considering putting a tank on my second story? I'd love to have a larger one. What would be the largest tank you'd put upstairs without thinking about positioning? I mean, it'd be against the wall and I'll want a full stand. I'm currently considering a 55

I wouldn't go larger then about a 75 just to be safe, but yeah floors can hold the weight, even more so if the stand isn't on 4 legs and spreads the weight out more, my bedroom alone I had a 36, 29, 15, and 10 in a 12x8 space. Some people do have like 125s but for that size I would check with insurance incase it leaks or breaks through the floor and things like that

I would have no worries with a 55g anywhere in your house. You can go much larger if you place it against a load bearing wall, span as many joists as you can (as mentioned before), and place it on a well designed wooden stand.

Do you have an unfinished basement? Second story joists typically run the same direction as the first story. Go take a look!

Took me a while to find it again, but I found this article extremely helpful:
http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom