Least favorite fish.. why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe you have been misinformed at some point, It's really hard to imagine a 15''-20'' max Tilapia butterkoferi reaching anything more than a few pounds.

Okay okay! You got me! :angel: I should have put 2.02 lbs LOL! Actually I immediately jumped online after I saw your post to check it out, and I stand corrected. I never bothered to research this fish (oops:facepalm:) once it left my house. When I returned it to the LFS, the owner said qoute: "Didn't work out hu? I tried to tell your husband these fish are beautiful but grow into monsters up to 200lbs. Not a good community fish".:end-qoute
Sorry guys for posting incorrect info! I will never let it happen again!

I'm right there with Mab2000, Dwarf Gouramis are about my least favorite. They are normally peaceful, but sometimes can get very unpredictable. On top of this, it is next to impossible to find good stock these days. You may buy them, then a week or up to several months later the fish just randomly dies. Awful stock, wouldn't buy any until this whole thing clears up.

Any fish that has been modified with dyes to "look cool". This includes glofish, tattooed mollies, and tutti frutti frogs.
AND upon visiting my lfs yesterday, I saw what they called a "jelly bean parrot". They had died a parrot bright glowing pink. It's awful, and ugly too.

Any fish that has been modified with dyes to "look cool". This includes glofish, tattooed mollies, and tutti frutti frogs.
AND upon visiting my lfs yesterday, I saw what they called a "jelly bean parrot". They had died a parrot bright glowing pink. It's awful, and ugly too.

agreed. saw a jelly bean parrot and noticed its eyes were messed up and it was blind :(

I'm with y'all too. I despise fish that have been deformed in a way that really harms them. Granted, Bettas have been selectively bred to give us beautiful flowing fins, this doesn't impair them like a Ballon Molly. I just despise seeing tatooed and died fish.

I did not even now they dyed fish for the longest time. One time my LFS sold me 3 fruit tetras for .99 cents. I thought this was a good deal. When I got back home I did some research and found out what they had to do to look like that. I took them back.

I would have taken them back too. It's just sad and they really don't look that cool. Fish are a part of nature, and nature rarely comes in neon.

So far...two of my favorite fish have been mentioned, the bolivian ram and the cardinal tetra...but as to my least favorites, anything "balloon" or dyed and fancy goldfish. Also never been a fan of long-finned varieties either...and I really prefer the "wild" coloration over tank-bred color variations.

paytertot said:

I was just gonna say glofish and dyed frogs

I actually like large fish but I don't think a petstore should be able to sell them unless you have a license or something.

Some examples-
Red tailed catfish
Iridescent shark
Red bellied pacu
Clown knife
Arowana

I actually love most of these fish but I hate the thought of someone who doesn't know what they are doing putting them in a tiny tank.

Maxkolbe said:
I actually like large fish but I don't think a petstore should be able to sell them unless you have a license or something.

Some examples-
Red tailed catfish
Iridescent shark
Red bellied pacu
Clown knife
Arowana

I actually love most of these fish but I hate the thought of someone who doesn't know what they are doing putting them in a tiny tank.

Very much agree with you! I think peacock bass should be added to the list and blue channel cats.

My least favorite would have to be hatchet fish. They just freak me out.

I would say rosy barbs, cardinal tetras, and dwarf gouramis, all because they never survive 48 hours in ANY conditions...

My least favorite would have to be hatchet fish. They just freak me out.

Again, hatin' on my faves...My cardinals have been alive for 8 months now with only one minor bout with ich, and I love hatchets, even though the wife thinks they're ugly and look weird...

phoenixkiller said:
Well, I think Hatchet fish are awesome, if you are smart enough to put a GOOD QUALITY cover on your tank!

I never had a hatchet jump out but I had a butterfly fish jump out once.

Back
Top Bottom