LFS people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wanted to know about other shops. Seems a lot of the folks at the LFS out this way are pretty cool.

The closest LFS has a younger guy working there (mid 20's). I am always running into him. He knew I was a newbe and having problems at first. We've spent time talking about tank set-ups, what he has in his tanks, what I have in mine.

Even going in and browsing we'll shoot the breeze for a good 15-20 mins. I want to say it's a bit like going to a local dive bar and talking to the bartender (minus the drinks).

One of the things we were talking about is teaching ourselves more biology, chemistry and light physics than we ever learned in school.

Did I just luck out by finding someone who knows a ton of stuff and isn't trying to sell me stuff or are there more LFS like this?

I found one like that too! He helped me out for about an hour and a half finding things for my tank and putting stuff back that I didn't need. I hope he is there every time I go in.

My sister in law pointed me to 2 stores in Boulder. Once we started becoming regulars there we started talking to the employees. We exchange ideas, theories and things we've learned over the years.

Like I had noticed that our gold rams were more aggressive than our blue rams. And it wasn't just one pair. We've had many ram deaths over the past few months, and all the golds we've had were way more aggressive.

When talking to one of the guys at one of the LFSs, I mentioned that. He said he had never noticed that. When we went back two weeks later he told me he had been watching the rams since we last spoke and he saw the same thing.

So anyways, it's good to be able to spend a few minutes with the ones that know a thing or two and throw out thoughts.

yeah, on one of my rare trips to petco, i heard in the next isle over a person ask an employee about starteing an aquarium. he talked for nearly two hours, getting this person set up with an aquarium, telling them good products, and get this, he told them that to get there SW tank started to go to another store for the fish! i was shocked! theres a good example of a person that wants to give out good advice, not get a lot of money by tricking you. when he was done talking to them, i went over and i started chatting him up. we talked, exchanged emails, and now he is one of my fish freinds. im glad to see that not ALL chain fish stores are bad!

Did I just luck out by finding someone who knows a ton of stuff and isn't trying to sell me stuff or are there more LFS like this?
there are a lot of people working in the hobby who knows what they are talking about. some do know but just try to push you into things some know nothing trying to push you into things and some dont. each and every store is different.... heck 10 people can walk into the same store and get different views of the store. the problem is most people dont talk about the good things but just rub back to the come OMG you wont believe what i heard this lfs worker say.... blah blah blah

Back
Top Bottom