LFS should quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LondonGman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I buy my fishes from a shop that quarantine and observe there new fish import before selling them. A good reputable LFS should not sell them on as soon as they arrive. Therefore I have the luxury of being able to add my fishes straight into my tank. However I have not had that pleasure for a long time as I have a full tank.

Of the 5 LFS within my area of London, only 1 LFS does this and will show you the quarantined fishes in medication all marked “not for sale”. This also encourages you to return to the shop often to see if they are out of quarantine. They may extend the quarantine periods if they feel that there are still issues with the new fishes. Also they quarantine new fishes, from experience, to protect there existing stocks of fishes for sale from infection.

They are not the cheapest or closest but they are worth it as I have had no fish die from them and that includes cardinal tetras, angel etc. if all LFS did this, it could means that fewer fishes die in general which is good news for conservation of live caught fishes.

I do recommend that we all look for LFS that quarantine there fishes or at least encourage (pressurise) their LFS to do so. We could change LFS standards if we vote with our wallets. Bargains are false economy and no one else but us hobbyist can speak up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom