Mad at lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know how she stuffed it up. She even used the API kit! I tested twice when I got home and got 0 both times! The other 4 are ok for now. They'll probably die on me too :(

When I went to tell her that if frequent larger PWC where ok for discus, cichlids and goldfish why weren't they ok for other fish she just changed the subject!
There is a guy at my lfs the same way no matter what water sample you take him your ammonia is always high so me and my bro n law started having fun with him we would take water samples out of the same tank and go in a different times and he would tell us 2 different things

Rscomia said:
There is a guy at my lfs the same way no matter what water sample you take him your ammonia is always high so me and my bro n law started having fun with him we would take water samples out of the same tank and go in a different times and he would tell us 2 different things

Lol. That's great!

No offense, but I totally disagree about the gravel vacs. More is better with PWCs, 50% is a good amount. The bacteria is predominantly in the filter media. It needs high oxygenation. Substrate can house some, but removing the detritus and rotting food is more important than worry over bacteria loss from gravel vacing. JMO

While I agree with you, I would add that consistency in cleaning technique plays a role. If you never vacuum and then do a real OCD job of cleaning it, then you might run into issues. If, however, you always do a good job of vacuuming, then your filter's BB will adjust to accommodate the lack of consistent BB growth in the substrate. The BB can adapt to any load, with or w/o substrate bacteria.

I don't know how she stuffed it up. She even used the API kit! I tested twice when I got home and got 0 both times! The other 4 are ok for now. They'll probably die on me too :(

When I went to tell her that if frequent larger PWC where ok for discus, cichlids and goldfish why weren't they ok for other fish she just changed the subject!

the ammonia spiked in the water cause you had 2 dead rasboras in there. My LFS tried to do that to me, they believe that most people are uneducated in fishkeeping i guess??? not sure but i brought along a second bag of water just in case...good planning huh

Closetcanibal said:
the ammonia spiked in the water cause you had 2 dead rasboras in there. My LFS tried to do that to me, they believe that most people are uneducated in fishkeeping i guess??? not sure but i brought along a second bag of water just in case...good planning huh

I had two bags. One with the dead fish (about 5ml of water) and one to be tested (about 30ml). You know it makes complete sense that she could have taken water from the dead fish bag! She took it too a back room to do the test. If I ever go back I'm going to watch her like a hawk!

Yep or they say you have purhaps a cheap test kit. That is not so clear as the exspensif on argg

I had two bags. One with the dead fish (about 5ml of water) and one to be tested (about 30ml). You know it makes complete sense that she could have taken water from the dead fish bag! She took it too a back room to do the test. If I ever go back I'm going to watch her like a hawk!

They usually try and test the water without you watching cause if the water parameters are wrong then they don't take it back. That saves them money and makes you look stupid and uneducated in the process, then they will try and sell you some redicolous "cure" that is the most expensive they can think of. One of my friends was almost hired at petsmart and they were told to do that by a manager around the holidays to help boost sales. I think it is a redicolous way to get profits.

Yep I got so mad and walked out the store. And they had sick fish for sale Jd for a dollar. They sad new stocking. My wife sad they or so sick. So my wife starts to lecture her from lfs. That they doint know how to treat fish. After that we whent out of the store. But you have 14 days to return it except for fish on sale. So sad sometime

Closetcanibal said:
They usually try and test the water without you watching cause if the water parameters are wrong then they don't take it back. That saves them money and makes you look stupid and uneducated in the process, then they will try and sell you some redicolous "cure" that is the most expensive they can think of. One of my friends was almost hired at petsmart and they were told to do that by a manager around the holidays to help boost sales. I think it is a redicolous way to get profits.

Yes, that's what I've been thinking. They lull you into a false sense of security with dead fish returns then make up any excuse not to honor it. One of the other employees kept saying to me that they can help me with my 'water problems'. I had too much nitrate (according to them) and did too many water changes. Go figure?! If I had just stood back and took the lecture they would have started to sell me nitrate reducing chemicals.

Yep I got so mad and walked out the store. And they had sick fish for sale Jd for a dollar. They sad new stocking. My wife sad they or so sick. So my wife starts to lecture her from lfs. That they doint know how to treat fish. After that we whent out of the store. But you have 14 days to return it except for fish on sale. So sad sometime

Yeah, unfortunatly lots of places don't treat animals right. i usually stick to midwest chiclid forums for my cichlids and try to get people around me that like fish and breed them correctly...if you use craigslist talk to them first through email or text for a while first, that way you get a feel for how they care for their fish in general. its definitly a risk going to a LFS or a pet "department" store. fish freaks in omaha is amazing i've heard, i havent gotten the chance or time to drive 2.5 hours to a fish store...however it is planned for spring.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the lfs. I wouldn't rule the store out completely because of one bad experience. This just means you would have to keep a closer eye on the fish at purchase as you were saying. Some times things don't work out. It's certainly been the case for me at times. I still go back to look for that one great fish or fishes. Maybe the store had a water problem before purchase. Test they're water maybe .

Water said:
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the lfs. I wouldn't rule the store out completely because of one bad experience. This just means you would have to keep a closer eye on the fish at purchase as you were saying. Some times things don't work out. It's certainly been the case for me at times. I still go back to look for that one great fish or fishes. Maybe the store had a water problem before purchase. Test they're water maybe .

Lol. Maybe I will. It'd look great if a waltzed in there, test kit in hand. Perfect store water was another excuse that she used to explain my fish deaths. Lol. Anyways... It happens. I'm not mad the fish died. Just at the way I was treated.

Dreamingdragon said:
Yep I have 1 lfs and can order the fish I want. So I stick to that.

I have a favorite too. They have had some pretty sick fish lately and they are struggling to stop the spread so I'm avoiding them for a few months for fish purchases.

Yep me too. Still struggle with size of fish tank I want. I really want the 90g but I live second floor and the maintenance man stil figure out if it,s possible to do it. Because of the floor so that's a bummer right now. Other than that I have 2 split up the tank wit a 55 for my jd,s and gt . And Africans in the 29g so i,m still brainstorming

Back
Top Bottom