Making money from breeding fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjsams

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm kinda a noob so don't be to harsh on me here. But when I was younger I used to breed guppies and other fish for a hobby and I was pretty good at it but over time I slowly lost the time to do it. But now that I have more free time I would like to get back into it and I was wondering if there is anyway to make money off of breeding freshwater fish? And if so what fish make the most money and what are the best ones to breed? I'm not looking to make a living from this but maybe make some pocket change to just expanding my hobby.

I am 14 and i have a breeding progam, i breed Kribensis and am attempting some gold severums. Its something that takes time to start and effort. I have been through so many hurdles but now i have a steady tank and my fish spawn reguarly. So it is a lot of fun and a great way to make money. But you have to think what fish will make you some good money. Thats why im breeding Kribs because they are unusual and sell for around $6 a pop.

Jason7894561230 said:
I am 14 and i have a breeding progam, i breed Kribensis and am attempting some gold severums. Its something that takes time to start and effort. I have been through so many hurdles but now i have a steady tank and my fish spawn reguarly. So it is a lot of fun and a great way to make money. But you have to think what fish will make you some good money. Thats why im breeding Kribs because they are unusual and sell for around $6 a pop.

Where do you sell them?

I'm in the process of breeding and selling clownfish. There saltwater fish, but the same theories apply. The hardest part is finding a pair that will breed. I hope you have better luck then me! lol ive ben waiting over 3 monthes

Where do you guys sell them? Or where should I sell them? We have local pet shops one of my family friends owns but I've also been wondering about selling online? I know there is a classifieds on here but is there any other websites?

Selling online is usually very difficult because of shipping methods...... And i currently can sell to 4 different LFS that will buy around 30 each a month

Clownfish767 said:
Selling online is usually very difficult because of shipping methods...... And i currently can sell to 4 different LFS that will buy around 30 each a month

LFS? What is that?

Thanks betta and Bige. And sorry i forgot you were new :/. Just never give up on it if you really want to do it!

I am playing with the idea of possibly breeding guppies, but I'm not sure. It wouldn't happen right now, because I can't get another ten gallon to raise the fry in!

Bettababe1011 said:
I am playing with the idea of possibly breeding guppies, but I'm not sure. It wouldn't happen right now, because I can't get another ten gallon to raise the fry in!

I'm thinking about it too. I think the most important thing is to go cheaper and maybe try flyers and craigslist ... I've found. Cichlid breeders on cragslist

I am currently breeding multiple guppy and endler strains along with some other species. I don't think it really makes much of a profit compared to how much work and cost is involved, but it is one of the few hobbies that actually pays back.

I ship most of my stuff, LFS in this state won't buy fish unless I get my occupational license, which would make it to where I couldn't technically buy fish from hobbyists either.

jetajockey said:
I am currently breeding multiple guppy and endler strains along with some other species. I don't think it really makes much of a profit compared to how much work and cost is involved, but it is one of the few hobbies that actually pays back.

I ship most of my stuff, LFS in this state won't buy fish unless I get my occupational license, which would make it to where I couldn't technically buy fish from hobbyists either.

Who do you ship them to?

Back
Top Bottom