Marine Biology High Schools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brilliant_Barbs_21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have the choice of going to a private school to become a marine biologist. I want to go to Taber Academy but am not sure... I want something beneficial to my future. Does anybody have any ideas or experience with this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds very exciting. I would have loved something like that when I was in High School. However. my step sister went to school to be a marine biologist. She now owns a dog kennel and works very very hard. Many Many people go to school for Marine biology. Less than 1% are the people that wind up on the documentaries you see. Less than 1% are the ones traveling cool places doing cool research. The other lucky 10% work at an aquarium. The other 89% go on to find real jobs that have nothing to do with there degree.

If you are the 1% you will live off grants your entire life which means money for research and pb&j or mac and cheese for your self. If that sounds ok to you then go for it follow your passion.

I would recommend not pigeon holing yourself so soon in life. You will change and the world around you changes as you grow. Experience a variety of things while you can. This will give a greater opportunity to what is out there.

Wait until you get to college to decided. I am 36 I love the job I am doing now but if you told me I would have an office job when I was in high school I would have said Gag no thank you. I think it is foolish we have to make such life decisions as a career at 18. I think it is even worse to make that decision at 14 or 15. Give your self time to grow. Since you obviously love marine biology check out summer camps for it. Just my 2 cents I wish you the best of luck in which ever path you choose.

Back
Top Bottom