ME and my delimma!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

virus

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK my dellemas this, i have no job (becaue im 15) no allowence (never did) and i want to eaither build a tank or buy a 75 gallon or bigger, but i cant because of my Delemma! does anyone have ideas on what i could do? i mean i think "the lemonade stand" might not work........ but mabe in downtown cleveland OH ? but im open to all mouths of opinon!

Well, you could ask your parents for chores to do around the house to earn your 75gal? Maybe ask one for birthday; christmas and everything else together? One major gift?
Ask around in your neighbourhood if anyone wants their lawn mowed? :lol:

As a father of two adult sons, I understand your dilemma perfectly. You will have to put everything into perspective first.

Will your parents allow you to have/build/keep a tank of any size?
Have you discussed the financial portion of keeping a tank with them?

If the answers to the above questions are yes, then you have to consider these:

Are your parents willing to contribute to your hobby (suggesting ways of earning cash or helping you out)?

If you advise you parents that you are willing to make sacrifices ("Instead of buying me the PSP, use the money for the fish tank") they may be willing to help.

Bottom line is. No amount of income you get will result in a tank if your parents won't let you have one at this particular time.

Good luck!

And Welcome to AA!

I know it is difficult to get a job when you are 15 but you might want to get to know the owners of your LFS. Perhaps they have some chores around the store that you can do that would help you to gain experience with fish. Tell them that you want your "salary" to apply to an aquarium set up. You may want to consider a 55 gallon to start as they are priced with lower profit than others.

I say this because when I was in 8th grade there was an LFS in my town in Wisconsin where I grew up that would let me clean tanks in exchange for fish! I had a small 20 gallon tank that my uncle gave me when he upgraded.

Good Luck and remember what Jchillin said. Get permission from your parents. They pay for the electricity and water!

i have no job (becaue im 15)

There is no reason a 15 year old shouldn't be able to get a part time job. McDonald's, stocking shelves, movie theaters, and so forth all thrive on teen employees.

Do you have any experience babysitting? Do you like dogs? Are you willing to get down and dirty for your aquarium? Odd jobs like babysitting, dogwalking, yardwork, cleaning, and the good old fashioned paper routes are not only a good way to earn the money, but a good way to show your parents that you are willing to work for what you want and willing to do the work of upkeep.

Jchillins' advice was priceless, check with your folks. And even if they say no, take the initiative to get a job and start to show some responsibility. Maybe that way they will have a diferent view next time the topic comes up. As a mom of four, I know it would make a difference to me.

Good luck,

Thanks for all the advice, and reply to jchillens post, i have permisson from mom i have the basement all to myself* it is finished & furnished. mom says that i should get what i want by myself, becasue the rewards will be greater.
reply to all the jobs, it acctually is hard becasue most people wont hire untill 16 that includes everything in the plaza i live by, that has like everything ( my father works at a movie theater, and they ONLY hire at 16 but i get a instant job then:) )
and my lfs is an aquarium adventure store and i already tried :(

hmmm... got a pool in your neighborhood? I was certified to lifeguard at age 14 and was able to lifeguard at my neighborhood pool when I turned 15. Odd jobs around the neighborhood, including cleaning houses, would be your best bet. Unless there is something within walking distance, you don't want to rely on your parents or someone else to get you to and from work (unless you can drive now, I don't remember what the law is). And you're right about having to be 16 to work at most places. It is just company policy, some places won't hire until you are 18! However, most clothing retail stores hire at 16, I know American Eagle does because they hired me when I turned 16. Good luck!

acctually i havent thought of that THANKS! im rying to get a job here at the texas rodhouse steak house but thats an intresting idea, i live just a 10 minute walk to it. it has like 40+ stores so yeah it close :)

smilies-35568.png

virus, I wish you lived out here! I am always in need of help and sometimes weekly critter-sitting. You need to network to find the odd jobs--there are out there!

Get to know people that are in the same profession as yourself. Or in your case, get to know people around the neighborhood and let them know what you are good at and so on, then when they need someone to do something for them, your name will come to mind. Example, my cousin used to chit chat with all of the elderly in the neighborhood when he was younger up into his teens. Then when they needed their lawn mowed or a ride to the doctors office, he did it for them and they paid him. If they are happy with your services, they spread the word. All through high school he mowed just about everyone's yard in the neighborhood, drove most of the elderly neighbors to doctors offices or to the grocery store. He even did grocery shopping for a women who was wheel chair bound and could not get around too easily. It's just a thought. :D HTH

All sorts of things you can do...from lawn-mowing, pet-sitting, yard-work, etc to starting your own business:

"HORTONVILLE, Wis. -- Wisconsin high school student Adam Ernst has a busy summer planned. No burger-flipping or lawn-mowing for this 17-year-old. He's got a company to run.

Adam is the CEO of cosmicsoft, a computer software company. He has customers on five continents, few of whom know he's a Hortonville High student.

His main product is starQuiz, which helps teachers give and correct tests. It recently won an award for best educational software from a computer magazine.

Adam said his mother, a teacher, inspired him. Adam said he saw how hard she worked marking tests and he wanted to make things a little easier."

I assume you are allowed to have a job... I wasn't allowed to have a job all through high school. Will your parents give you an allowance if you start doing more chores around the house? The neighborhood odd job idea sounds like a good one. What about babysitting? If all else fails, could you get your parents to combine your birthday and Christmas gifts into one big gift? I got a trip to Florida paid for that way, then a trip to California a few years later. BTW if this helps, Petsmart sells 75 gallon tanks with light and hood for $189.99 USD. :D Good luck!

LOL Billsgate beat me to it about the gift combination idea.

yeah ill try that out , my local lfs (aquarium adventure) has 75 for $125 ok well i gotta go out and do some stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom