meat slicers and me... ouch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mastershake

Aquarium Advice Activist
so heres my story for the week, i work in a restraunt and i was slicing some meat, well i do this practically every day, and i do it the same way, so yesterday i was cleaning the slicer, towel round hand and all that jazz, but i guess it slipped off and i caught my finger on the blade, i took off practially the whole nail and a few layers of skin, ive got like the two very edges left of nail, pretty fun,

i sat there and bled for an hour and a half, it sorta stopped so i wrapped up and finished the last half hour of work, got home redid the soaked bandages and went to work at the fish store, its sore but ill live, not bleeding anymore, ill tell you though, its a whole new kinda pain for me to lose that much nail, its gonna be a long time comign when it finally grows out, what a day, its sore but advil dulls the throbbing pains, just thought id share :) love to tell stories ya know

:eek2: OMG!!! That sucks! Keep it really clean. You don't want infection on top of that. I would go to the doctor if I were you. L&I should take care of any bills because it happened at work. Hope it heals quick!

yeah, my moms isfreinds with a nurse, she said it actually looked good today, just to keep it protected but let it air every now and then to heal faster, hurts when i bump stuff, but thats gonna be the worst of it hopefully

you should have went to the doctor ... get a tetnis shot and since you were clicing meat, who knows what kind of infections could have been transmitted. Trust me ... i know the desire to get back to work.

I work in a professional kitchen and the last time i seriously sliced my fingers, well, i was chopping chives and took off the tip of my finger plus part of the nail. So what happened after that is i got it bandaged MAJORLY and finished working (the end of the shift was 5 hours after that). So it also took another 3 hours AFTER i got to go home ... and then it was another 3 hours of waiting time at the hospital. lets just say, tetnis was given plus multiple stitches.

Never say you are ok cause you never really know.

just a side note - I would NOT put that hand in an aquarium until it's healed....

I got a good slice on two of my fingers years ago cleaning a meat slicer; I couldn't believe how easily it cut my hand; I didn't really know it until I saw the blood. Being the trooper that I am I wrapped it up and mopped the floor. :d

Those blade can be very nasty!

I have tons of horror stories from my youth working in restaurants.

I'm not sure which of these two is dumber...

a) Guy tries to slice a tomato using a meat slicer, but not using the guide. He does it while holding the tomato in his hand. I remember the sound; ZZZinggg!!! Blood up the wall about 4 feet (that blade rotates very fast). I went to get a towel for him. When I returned he was in shock, sitting/hiding under the table holding his finger.

b) Same place, another guy gets high on his cigarette break. Decides that a knife is the best way to seperate hamburgers that are frozen together. Needless to say, it's not. He buried the knife about a quarter inch deep over the entire width of his palm.

Industrial accidents are far worse though. I won't go into what I've seen there.

the posters and stuff that they put up to raise awareness on industrial accidents can be quite graphic. 8O

thats what happend to my brother a week before his wedding day

he was cleaning the tomato slicer at wendy's and when he was washing it, it slipped and went about 1/4 inch into his finger

also i know how your pain is, about 2 years ago i got hit with a shovel(the sharp end) in the leg, i was crying it hurt so bad, and i never cry

not thread jacking here or anything, but side note.

mastershake: does popeye have some significance to you? why don't you use a better avatar for your name? heh. like one of these:

aquaTeen_vol1_masterShake.jpg

ATC_MasterShake_1024.jpg

shake.jpg

just a thought... lol

My daughter cut her finger about a month ago, all the way through the nail and into the finger, and though the nail pretty much kept the wound together so she did not need stitches, she did need a tetanus shot - very good advice above. You might also require an antibiotic, but hopefully it'll heal up no problem. Gonna take a while, though.

450lb fishing line dug into my uncle's hands when he was pulling a 300+ pound marlin to the boat and it slowly swam under the boat (cut all the way to the bone). one of a handful of times i didnt go with him in 10 years...

AAAAAHHH This is all so gross, I can hardly read it. BUT I keep coming back for more. How sick is that??

it doesnt really hurt much anymore, just sore ,and whacking it on stuff all day doesnt help, but its just there, im glad this is the worst injury ive had, everyones got much worse, when it happened another cook told me about this guy he knew that took his entire palm off practically on one not useing the guard thing, said the guy passed out right there when all the blood rose,

there is a cook wehre i work i consider the village idiot, he thought he was faster then a big electric mixer and stuck his hand in it while it was on, hes slipped with a pot of boiling water and burned both his legs bad, he thought he would show off and flip a cleaver and cathc it, he cought it right in the thumb and needed to go get stitches, hes just a moron though, hes hurt other people, i have no idea why hes still around

Meredith said:
AAAAAHHH This is all so gross, I can hardly read it. BUT I keep coming back for more. How sick is that??
If you insist...

I worked at a factory that made cardboard tubes for industrial use. They would be anywhere from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch thick and we could cut them to any (theoretical) length.

We had a job we were doing where we were making spools for a wire company. The tubes were 1/4 inch thick and we had to cut them to 1 foot long. Basically, you cut the tubes coming off the machine to around 14 feet and then somebody else does the smaller cuts. [ominous music] The machine that does the smaller cuts basically spins the tube through a razor blade at the touch of a button. The guy doing the smaller cuts that day was wearing gloves that have tiny rubber dots on the palm side to help grip things. Unfortunately, he had his right hand on the tube when he pushed the button. As the tube spun, his hand stuck to it (because of the glove) and put his hand through the razor blade. The red line in the picture below illustrates what was cut off...

Attachments

• images_439.jpg
    images_439.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 112
I work for a hand surgeon and have seen some pretty drastic hand injuries, and almost always it involves a machine and a glove. My husband is missing the tip of his index digit from a similar accident involving a smaller machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom