met the "swamp brothers" and bought a new milksnake from glades herp farm!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
So today we drove out to Glades herp farm in Bushnell, FL (just one county over) and we had a tour of all of their facilities and wound up buying a 2011 Mexican milksnake! (see pics).

We also got to meet the "swamp brothers", if anyone has ever watched that show on the discovery channel. We even got to get close up views of their venemous snakes, they took them out and held them and showed us how to identify them. And even opened the mouth of a cotton mouth (water moccasin) so we could see the hinged fangs. It was awesome!
We got to handle a lot of their colubrids and a few boas as well. It was a lot of fun and I just wanted to share a few pics of our new acquisition. :)

View attachment 60594

View attachment 60595

View attachment 60593

View attachment 60591

Beautiful little guy you have there. It's nice to see I'm not only one with fish and other types of animals lol. I keep a pair of Geckos.

Yes, we also have a 6 year old okeetee corn snake. This place a has a really good variety of snakes, It was so hard to just choose one! But this little milksnake was so docile and the colors are amazing.

I love snakes!! I stopped doing them though. I had a blizzard corn snake, a rough green snake, numerous garter snakes, and a few milksnakes. They are so much fun! I have a ball python that is at the LFS. They keep him there but he's basically mine :p That is a VERY beautiful snake!

I love snakes!! I stopped doing them though. I had a blizzard corn snake, a rough green snake, numerous garter snakes, and a few milksnakes. They are so much fun! I have a ball python that is at the LFS. They keep him there but he's basically mine :p That is a VERY beautiful snake!

yes we are very happy with his colors! We had a ball python but we actually found him to be pretty boring and gave him to my husbands little brother, who is 7 and thinks it is the coolest pet ever of course. Since ball pythons live about 20 years and this one we already had for about 5, his little brother should have it until about the time he gets ready to start college which is perfect for him.

AWESOME! I have a tangerine phase Honduran Milksnake. I love milk/king snakes. I would love to have another one as well, but I should wait until I have more space, especially since I am currently looking to adopt a puppy. :)
I have found milksnakes to usually be pretty docile. I know that some are rather nippy as young'uns, but many of them seem to be very nice. I really want a banana kingsnake. I also want a milksnake with the red/black/yellow pattern since mine is all orange. I am going to dress him up next Halloween by getting a hotdog bun and letting him sit in like a giant hotdog. :)

absolutangel04 said:
AWESOME! I have a tangerine phase Honduran Milksnake. I love milk/king snakes. I would love to have another one as well, but I should wait until I have more space, especially since I am currently looking to adopt a puppy. :)
I have found milksnakes to usually be pretty docile. I know that some are rather nippy as young'uns, but many of them seem to be very nice. I really want a banana kingsnake. I also want a milksnake with the red/black/yellow pattern since mine is all orange. I am going to dress him up next Halloween by getting a hotdog bun and letting him sit in like a giant hotdog. :)

This is our first milksnake and he is young but very docile. Our corn snake was nippy in his younger years, but is just as calm as can be now that he is an old timer. I like colubrids in general, corns, rats, kings, and milksnakes.

he's so cute,i want a snake,but my mom wont let me get one:(

Patience, Grasshopper.... My mom wouldn't let me have anything to do with snakes, either. First thing I did when I moved out was set up a tank & got myself a Peruvian Red Tail boa.... Unfortunately, she just passed away last year ago at the age of 23. :(

KonvictKeeper said:
Do you mind me asking what you paid for him/her? They get them in occasionally around here and they are usually $80+.

$65 for that one. They had a lot ranging in price to about $150. This one was a little cheaper than some of the bigger ones.

alLexX said:

My parents wouldn't let me have anything cool either. Now we can get whatever we want and we also have 7 year old corn. Weve had lots of animals over the years. It's a lot of responsibility .

Yep, my mom wouldn't have ever let me own one either. But, its a whole different ballgame owning pets as an adult than I was when I lived with her, so I understand now. :)
That said, I love my snake. :) They are great pets, especially if you find a nice, relaxed one.

absolutangel04 said:
Yep, my mom wouldn't have ever let me own one either. But, its a whole different ballgame owning pets as an adult than I was when I lived with her, so I understand now. :)
That said, I love my snake. :) They are great pets, especially if you find a nice, relaxed one.

Yes, also they are a huge commitment. Snakes live up to 20 years. Ive heard some breeds even longer. I mean you gotta think are you willing to commit 20 yrs of your life to this animal. Same with cats and dogs.

Yes, also they are a huge commitment. Snakes live up to 20 years. Ive heard some breeds even longer. I mean you gotta think are you willing to commit 20 yrs of your life to this animal. Same with cats and dogs.
Yep. They have longer lifespans than many people realize. And snakes are relatively cheap to feed week to week, but that money certainly adds up over a decade.

Not to mention the unplanned illnesses, dealing with scale rot or finding your first regurge! Never will forget that smell. Our ball python was a difficult feeder and sometimes would refuse to eat for months at a time.

Back
Top Bottom