Mopani Wood used for Non-Aquarium Things/Ironwoods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yes, I know most of us use mopani driftwood in our tanks, but have you ever seen it used outside of an aquarium? It's gorgeous. Look at the blocks (and what looks like a box) on this site.

Mopani Turning Blanks & Pen Blanks | Exotic Wood / Lumber, West Penn Hardwoods

I'd love to have something made out of this stuff.

Now, for my second topic. Google Ironwoods. These things sink in water when they're dry! Why don't we use these for driftwood? I mean they are the hardest hardwoods. I think it would be a pretty sensible choice?

I know mopani is also sold for reptile tanks, same with malasian DW.

I couldn't find anything relating to the safety of ironwood for aquarium use.

you should make a seperate thread and title it about the ironwood, you would probably get more feedback. I also couldnt find anything about whether or not it's safe in aquariums.

Mopani / Mopane is used a fair bit in musical instruments. Here's a close-up pic of a set of Irish Uilleann Pipes in Mopane (made by the premiere pipe-makers Koehler & Quinn).

charm_mopane_9_reg_keys.jpg

Mopani / Mopane is used a fair bit in musical instruments. Here's a close-up pic of a set of Irish Uilleann Pipes in Mopane (made by the premiere pipe-makers Koehler & Quinn).

That's the natural color too right? I love that wood. I don't know if Ironwoods would be safe or not, but I don't see why not. I mean the reason we use Mopani is because it's a hardwood, and it doesn't rot underwater. Ironwoods are HARDER than mopani, so I'm guessing they'd definitely not rot?

Back
Top Bottom