More male than female aquarists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What gender are you?

• Female - Freshwater Only

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Female - Saltwater Only

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Female - Freshwater and Saltwater

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Male - Freshwater Only

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Male - Saltwater Only

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Male - Saltwater and Freshwater

Votes: 11 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So being new to the hobby, I've been reading up and browsing online to learn more, and occasionally I come across the opinion or statement that more men than women are into this hobby. Do you think this is true?

Not intending to start a discussion here about the whys or about various qualities and characteristics of men and women. Just objectively interested to know if it's true or nonsense. I wonder how many AA members are female...

Just from my unscientific, casual LFS observations, and forum board cruising...

It seems there are more women than men that keep freshwater fish, and there seems to be more men than women that keep saltwater fish. Definitely more men than women that do full-blown reef.

It might be that there is more scientific type stuff in reef keeping or at least it seems that way to me Kurt

It might be that there is more scientific type stuff in reef keeping or at least it seems that way to me Kurt

I was thinking that at first too, but on the surface, planted tanks look like they can be just as - if not more - complicated as a reef. (But reefs are only as complicated as you want to make them! I suppose that's the same with a planted tank.)

I'd have to say it's a pretty good mix of both sexes from what I've seen. Which is actually rather odd for most hobbies.

I`ll see if I can figure out a poll but there are many that do all kinds of tanks. Many of us do SW and FW. Some of us even do FW, SW and reef. LOL.

Count me as another female aquarist. (Any other Ottawa ladies out there in the hobby? Feel free to contact me!) It is fun that this interest crosses genders. The internet (and nicknames) also serve to blur the lines.
JD

Why does it matter? If you love fish, it should not matter if there are millions or you are the only one, as long as you are happy.

Later, Gerald

Why does it matter? If you love fish, it should not matter if there are millions or you are the only one, as long as you are happy.

Later, Gerald

I agree, Gerald, it doesn't matter. People should absolutely do what they love, no matter who else is doing it. And I don't think anyone here, male or female, would let gender keep them from doing what makes them happy!

I'm just too curious for my own good :)

Attachments

• curiosity.jpg
    curiosity.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
As a personal observation, my male friends are much less interested in my reef tank than my female friends :confused:
BUT, as for setting up a reef tank, my female friends would rather just look at mine. When I go away I always have a female friend tend to my tank. :D

The poll is excellent! But I'm still wondering what other people think about my initial question about the aquarium hobby in general.

Last edited:
When I went to MACNA for the two years I attended, there were definitley more guys there than girls, but it wasn't an overwhelming majority. Of course, that is a saltwater only event, so that could be why.

When I used to work at walmart in the pet dept, I would get way more women than men, so.... I dunno.

I think maybe it's equal in who owns aquariums, but maybe men are the ones who join forums to wonder how they can beef something up or make it bigger? lol

I think maybe it's equal in who owns aquariums, but maybe men are the ones who join forums to wonder how they can beef something up or make it bigger? lol
I was actually thinking the opposite... It would seem to me that men are less willing to "stop and ask for directions" by looking online for help. Then again, the anonymity of the online experience might make this more welcoming for men than asking for help at a LFS. Of course there is the idea that there are more men online than women, since computers are used by more men than women.

I dunno! It could go either way.

Back
Top Bottom