Moving 8 tanks plus empties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the next couple weeks I will be moving back in with my mom, and taking all my tanks with me. I've moved with fish before, but never this far and never with so many. Any ideas for getting all these fish and inverts and tanks back safely? My game plan is to drain tanks and bag fish, load tanks carefully into the moving truck, and follow it with all the fish in my car with me (and two cats!) then set up the tanks first thing when I arrive. The trip is about 45 minutes. I have 8 tanks running plus 5 empty tanks, and additional betta jars with fry and some adult males.

In the next couple weeks I will be moving back in with my mom, and taking all my tanks with me. I've moved with fish before, but never this far and never with so many. Any ideas for getting all these fish and inverts and tanks back safely? My game plan is to drain tanks and bag fish, load tanks carefully into the moving truck, and follow it with all the fish in my car with me (and two cats!) then set up the tanks first thing when I arrive. The trip is about 45 minutes. I have 8 tanks running plus 5 empty tanks, and additional betta jars with fry and some adult males.

Your mom is gonna kill you lmao. Smart though save some dough. I'd have a couple QT tanks all ready to go at your moms before you move, this way you can drop them in immediately upon arriving.

Your mom is gonna kill you lmao. Smart though save some dough. I'd have a couple QT tanks all ready to go at your moms before you move, this way you can drop them in immediately upon arriving.

Yeah... She thinks I'm nuts for having fish at all. She is going to die when she sees what she is getting herself into. And yeah, the goal is to save some money. My boyfriend and I have decided to take a break as we are flat broke and can't afford where we are or a new place. So some downtime and money saving is needed. It sucks, especially because I can't stand living with my mother, but its pretty much my only option that includes keeping my beloved fish. My mom and I get along much better when we aren't living together. I have been pretty much out of the house since I was 16, so it's going to be tough to get used to again.

The qt tank is a good idea. I might move a spare tank or two down a day early if I can. One for my puffers, and one for my non-bettas, maybe one for the crays. Thankfully most of my fish are bettas and travel well.

Yeah... She thinks I'm nuts for having fish at all. She is going to die when she sees what she is getting herself into. And yeah, the goal is to save some money. My boyfriend and I have decided to take a break as we are flat broke and can't afford where we are or a new place. So some downtime and money saving is needed. It sucks, especially because I can't stand living with my mother, but its pretty much my only option that includes keeping my beloved fish. My mom and I get along much better when we aren't living together. I have been pretty much out of the house since I was 16, so it's going to be tough to get used to again.

The qt tank is a good idea. I might move a spare tank or two down a day early if I can. One for my puffers, and one for my non-bettas, maybe one for the crays. Thankfully most of my fish are bettas and travel well.

Yeah bettas are excellent fish very hardy, but I guess they have to be the way they are treated. And I understand your money issues, me an my GF wana move in together but we have no money for the "IN" part lol plus my saving is going towards a ring first

Yeah bettas are excellent fish very hardy, but I guess they have to be the way they are treated. And I understand your money issues, me an my GF wana move in together but we have no money for the "IN" part lol plus my saving is going towards a ring first

Yeah, we are pretty broke plus I have more debt than I can handle right now. We just need to take a step back for awhile. I just hope all of my fish make the move ok. And that my mom doesn't murder me on the spot for being such a fish fanatic. Hey, at least I have something I am passionate about, right? She kept fish for years but thinks its too much work. Hehe, it's partly her fault I fell in love with them, I grew up with stories about her fish breeding and such. That and the big tank my dad had in our barn that was his and I's thing. A 75-100 gallon amazon biotope of awesomeness. I just remember that it seemed massive.

Yeah, we are pretty broke plus I have more debt than I can handle right now. We just need to take a step back for awhile. I just hope all of my fish make the move ok. And that my mom doesn't murder me on the spot for being such a fish fanatic. Hey, at least I have something I am passionate about, right? She kept fish for years but thinks its too much work. Hehe, it's partly her fault I fell in love with them, I grew up with stories about her fish breeding and such. That and the big tank my dad had in our barn that was his and I's thing. A 75-100 gallon amazon biotope of awesomeness. I just remember that it seemed massive.

Haha that's really cool. Yeah I'm sure she'll complain but I guarantee you you'll catch her staring at your tanks. You can't ignore a good aquascape and stunning fish, especially if you "used" to. And the Biotope sounds awesome. I'm actually gonna tear down my 40B soon as its overrun with plants. Gonna rescape it with a SA theme, tetras and rams. Now that I know how to run a planted tank I can scape it the way I want instead of just shoving in new plants to try lol.

Haha that's really cool. Yeah I'm sure she'll complain but I guarantee you you'll catch her staring at your tanks. You can't ignore a good aquascape and stunning fish, especially if you "used" to. And the Biotope sounds awesome. I'm actually gonna tear down my 40B soon as its overrun with plants. Gonna rescape it with a SA theme, tetras and rams. Now that I know how to run a planted tank I can scape it the way I want instead of just shoving in new plants to try lol.

Yeah, I'm sure I will. She likes fish, but not the taking care of them part. I know she bred cichlids at one point and she had saltwater tanks for a while. She used to hide her expensive jewelry in ziplock bags under the gravel of her tanks too. Really good idea! I think if nothing else does the baby bettas will win her over. They are adorable. I hope to get a nice planted setup one day, I just don't have lights for it now. And I am a major plant killer. Terrestrial or aquatic, plants do not like me.

Back
Top Bottom