My New Year's Resolution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLTGF

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've made a couple resolutions this year as many have: Continue on the path to debt freedom, lose (15) lbs, and Focus on growth, at work.

I've also decided that this will be my year to drastically improve my Aquaria knowledge and skills in many forms.

I started fishkeeping in 2011 straight into Saltwater and Reefkeeping. I honestly did do quite a bit of research before getting started, but even then I didn't know what I didn't know. I've gained 100x more knowledge in 2012 and have finally scratched the surface.

I've tried to provide a proper enviornment within my tanks, but I've only just reflected on how poorly I've done. When I looked at my end of year evaluation I realized that I spent just over $5k on pets. My cat is a small portion of that. Then I thought about what I have invested, and I certainly can't show $5K worth of stuff. I realize it's because I never felt a loss when I lost something.

I would've considered myself a good source of knowlege, yet, I've lost in the past 1.5 years:
  • (5) adult Blue / Green Chromis
  • (5) juvi B/G Chromis
  • (2) Pink Spot watchman goby's
  • (1) Flame Angel
  • (1) Coral Beauty
  • (2) Sixline Wrasses
  • (1) Midas Blenny
  • (1) Long-Nosed Hawkfish
  • (1) Wartskin Angler
  • (1) Domino Damsel
  • (1) Velvet Nudibrach
  • (1) Tuxedo Urchin
  • (1) Porceilan Crab
  • (3) Emerald Crabs
  • (4) Turbo snails
  • (1) Blood Fire Shrimp
  • (1) McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
  • (1) Derasa Clam
  • (3) Peppermint shrimp
  • (1) Diamond Goby
Coral:
  • (12) headed Duncan
  • (1) Large Octo-coral (Frogspawn)
  • (1) Blastomussa
  • (3) Acro Frags
  • (25) Heads of trumpet coral
  • (4) Ricordias
  • (1) Xenia
  • (1) Pineapple Tree Coral
  • (1) Med. War Coral
  • (1) large Acro colony
  • (1) Acan Frag
  • (1) Large bubble coral
  • Probably more I'm forgetting about...
I wanted to show this list for two reasons: 1) It's a very stunning visual on one "Intelligent, educated, researched" person's impact. 2) I want to be honest with everyone and myself. After my Wartskin died, I was really impacted. I had raised him handfed from a very small fish of 7/8" to nearly 4".

Just to let it be known, I've calculated a rough estimate of $1300 in lost livestock, but please understand that money is nothing compared to the lives of so many creatures.

My resolution this year is to dive in, no pun intended, head first, and imerse myself in classes, seminars, possibly a reef club, books, magazines, and the like. I want to ensure that I have a reef with old, fat fish, and overgrown corals. I want to set the standard by which other reef and fish keepers strive for.

I hope others will follow this trend. I hate reading articles about the "darkside of the hobby" and such about the average fish life is less than (1) year in captivity. I want to reverse those statistics. Thanks for reading.

Anyone else have any aquaria related resolutions? I'd love to hear them too!

Check out NewYorkSteele on utube. He is pretty wordy but does eventually go into great detail on reefkeeping. I refer back to his videos often. Don't think you are the only one that has lost livestock. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom