My room was flooded (or how do you become a true aquarist)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm now truely an aquarist :D

I was doing a water change on my 28.5 gal, was already refilling from a bucket with a hose, when someone rang at the door. Bucket was almost empty, so I left the hose one side in the bucket other side in the tank. Offcourse while I was at the door, the side that was in the bucket fell down to the floor, and the process was inverted. Water was now flowing from my tank to the floor..... When I came back up my floor was completely covered in water, I ran to take the hose out, went to the basement to get buckets and mops, and spend an HOUR and a HALF cleaning all the water from my floor..........

Lesson learnt: Do not answer phone or door when you're in the middle of changing water......or you'll end up with allot of water on your floor.
I think it was about 7-10 gallons that ended up on the floor, 1/3 of my tank was empty.......

Well, quite a way to spend my vacation-time..... :roll:

Oh :censor: ! lol. (I've always wanted to use that smiley. :) )Thankfully I have yet to do this! I get upset when a few drops get on my carpet!! haha. At least you have a hard floor (it sounds like at least). 10 gallons of water on a carpeted floor won't be dry for a long... long time. 8O

Happy to hear it's all cleaned up. :lol:

Here's to hoping the rest of us learn from your mistake!

lol, thats rough.

I work at a petstore and one day one of our sumps went haywire. Of course it just had to have happened at a time during the day when no one was in that section. The only reason anyone noticed the water on the ground is because it flooded almost HALF THE STORE. It reached half way across the store before a cashier noticed she was stepping in water. Sigh. Anyway, spent at least an hour with other people pushing water into drains on the floor/mopping.

Although that sucked, I'd rather have that happen at work than at my house, lol.

Oh my gosh! I thought I had it bad when I dumped about ONE gallon on my carpet. How is your floor doing??

My floor is fine Meredith, thanks for the concern. It happened in my bedroom (where my tanks are), and I have linoleum (don't know if that's the English word, It's the dutch word anyway) as floor. If I would have had carpet it would have been an absolute disaster :)
I'm pretty lucky none of my electrical equipment got damaged. I have an electrical piano, my computer is on the ground, lots of power distribution on the ground as well....
I'm lucky all of that stuff has at least a tiny amount of space before it gets critical (if you know what I mean).
Lesson learned

And Menagerie, happy to join the club :p

Another flooded fish room story huh?

I have also gone through this wonderful flooding.
Over nite the air line came off of the pump and it started a siphon.
When I got up the next morning I found almost 30 gallons of water on my livingroom carpet.
Needless to say the wife wasn't to happy with me...lol
Had to spend alot of time using the rug scrubber to suck up the water.
:cry:

Ouch.........sorry to hear that oscarbreeder. Must have been a PITA to get it all dry again......definetly since you have carpet. Good to hear that your still alive though. :D
BTW, how are the oscars doing? Any more attempts at breeding them? Because I remember you posting that you had eggs a couple of months back.

Yeah I am lucky to still be alive.
Thought the wife was going to kill me..lol

The Oscars are diong fine and getting big.
No more breeding going on right now... :cry:

Billsgate hijacked his own thread. :lol:

Well, I have to say that this is one club I'm happy to not be apart of. haha. I'm sure one day it will happen, but I didn't realize how many of you had stories like this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom