Neat article

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But they always have happened in Saltwater.

Honestly people need to breed more varieties and produce high enough quality to supply LFSs. Salt and Fresh.

The trouble is dedicated breeders, who take pride in the work, that love the fish, simply cannot compete with the world market. I looked into getting fish stock as a business venture, it was required (written in the terms of contract to accept delivery of shipments) that you could undercut the market but not enough to put local business out price wise, competitive pricing structure, the mark up is around 600% on the uk market. The wholesale cost of tropical fish is absurdly low.
To breach the contract by selling for a quick turn around would see you out of business pretty fast!

Breeding isn't worth it financially, unless you have a spare barn and a shop front to sell from. I did breed for store credit etc. to match the imports cost wise, really you don't get much return. Yes you can get to be self supporting but it's a full time venture.

(Maybe I didn't look around hard enough..........)

The idea of selling fish for a living is a dream most who keep fish have at one time or another, but in the cold light of day, it is business first almost always.
There are rare gems of fish stores, but they really are rare!

That's just my opinion!

The trouble is dedicated breeders, who take pride in the work, that love the fish, simply cannot compete with the world market. I looked into getting fish stock as a business venture, it was required (written in the terms of contract to accept delivery of shipments) that you could undercut the market but not enough to put local business out price wise, competitive pricing structure, the mark up is around 600% on the uk market. The wholesale cost of tropical fish is absurdly low.
To breach the contract by selling for a quick turn around would see you out of business pretty fast!

Breeding isn't worth it financially, unless you have a spare barn and a shop front to sell from. I did breed for store credit etc. to match the imports cost wise, really you don't get much return. Yes you can get to be self supporting but it's a full time venture.

(Maybe I didn't look around hard enough..........)

The idea of selling fish for a living is a dream most who keep fish have at one time or another, but in the cold light of day, it is business first almost always.
There are rare gems of fish stores, but they really are rare!

That's just my opinion!
It isn't my thought of being a high profit center. Its more for love of the hobby.

However, honestly stores should point out "locally bred" when they sell fish. The fish are likely healthier and used to the local water. Big deal in my book.

So many of the stores do not want to take locally bred fish, some for disease reasons.

Love of the hobby does not pay the bills.

Read this on a news feed earlier and it is deeply disturbing to see that many dead fish. It could be a disease that killed them.

There is a wonderful captive breeding program for yellow Tangs in Hawaii.

We are all partially to blame for not trying harder to obtain locally /captive raised /responsibly sourced species. It would be a rare person who has never purchased a wild caught aquarium inhabitant. Has everyone even ever THOUGHT about where the fish come from and how they get to you?

It makes me glad to do less damage and make more caring responsible decisions in my life even if they are seemingly small like buying a fish. The more I read and know about bad behaviors the more I want to support good ones.

So from this moment forward let's all who read this make a point to ASK the lfs for locally raised/captive bred AND even some sustainably caught tank critters see info below, and try to find a responsible source for them.

FW fish too are poisoned and also shocked in order that people can capture them to sell.

One thing see below, is the way some people are being taught how to protect fish and habitat and be able to create sustainable harvests of wildlife.

Buy A (Wild) Fish - Save A Tree - Microcosm Aquarium Explorer

Get connected with the local/regional fish clubs and Aquarium Societies and learn and share knowledge with others in your areas, raise and buy fish from local sources. There are so many more people doing this than one might think, raising a kind of fish you might want to keep.

Another connection is CARES Fish Preservation Program | The CARES Preservation Program is about fish and it is about people I personally know lots of people who raise fish on this list and are in some way connected with them. I personally haven't vetted them, so do that yourself. But they do list species which need help. Maybe you are some one who would enjoy doing that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom