Need an indoor hobby...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right now my only indoor hobbies are reading, cooking and watching tv/movies.

Looking for suggestions for something else....

my theory is that everyone can paint/draw, they just need to be taught how. I've taught at least 5 people who thought they had absolutly no skills in art and after the first 30 minutes they were amazed at how well they were able to simply draw.

hmmm.. what are some other indoor hobbies...

train sets
model cars/airplanes
knitting
making clothes
decorating the house (think martha stuart...minus the jail time)
cooking
magic tricks/slight of hand

hmmm, that is all I can think of for now... I'll be needing an indoor hobby soon since it gets really cold in the winter here so I want to see other suggestions :D

*edit* going back to the art stuff, you could find objects and make 3-D sculptures out of them. It doesn't all have to be on paper/canvas.

One "hobby" that you DO NOT want to take up is playing the popular PC game "World of Warcraft". I recently made that mistake and now find myself playing from 5 PM to 10 or 11PM, 7 days a week. (ouch!!!!)

On a serious note, there are a lot of things you can do indoors that could be a very beneficial hobby. I liked the musical instrument one. Another one that I like is excercise. Keeps you busy with benefits and results.

If you take up knitting you could make family and friends scraves for Christmas!

.... now that I mention it... I think im going to take up knitting for that reason! OH! and ill make my dog a sweater!

Hehe

read the choppr books
author ""Mark Brandown"chopper"Read""
A true aussie crim and all round good bloody author.

or you could make me a pie?
or an awesome hobby would be helping the kids of the "katrina" disaster.
bring em on..If i could help all the kids in the world it still wouldn't be enough....

You could also get addicted to talk radio.....that's what I did once the kids went to school and the house was way too quiet. I listened to talk radio while I cleaned. But be warned much of it is right winged and before you know it you'll be a raging Republican. Oh and if you've never watched the Buffy the Vampire Slayer show you must do that. I never watched it when it was on tv but I rented the dvds starting with season one all the way through to the end and I swear it's some of the best tv I have ever watched. I would re-watch them all again except for I developed a very unhealthy crush on the vampire Spike 8O Once I found myself googling James Marsters fan sites......that's when I knew I had to put an end to my Buffy viewing.

Take up Counter-Strike. :D That my take up alot of your time on the PC. If you like excericing you could take up paloties (sp?). Thats what my mom does. If you like computers you could learn how to do Photoshop and make art or learn how to do websites or program stuff or even sell stuff on ebay.

decorating the house (think martha stuart...minus the jail time)

IMHO she should have spent time in jail for her "taste" :roll: and designing (or lack of) ability, not for the whole stock junk.

I loved to cross stitch until my carpal tunnel got bad....believe me, the kits and designs out there now make it more than an "old ladies" hobby

cross stitching puts 99% of an entire picture on little squares, knitting is for clothing (I have no clue as to the specifics), crochet is similar to knitting but is also used for things like blanket etc

I might try to learn crochet this winter. I used to cross-stitch also but it's a little hard on my eyes anymore. (I still have a project only half-finished that I promised to someone :( ) That's why I was thinking of crochet - it may be a little easier to see the crochet stitch vs. the little cross-stitch!

Lori, cross-stitch uses thin, thread-like floss, and a needle similar to a sewing needle, but not really sharp. The canvas has little square holes in it where your needle and the next stitch goes (or if you really want to strain your eyes, lol, use a fabric with a tighter weave - you'll have to search for that next stitch!) Your stitching looks like a row of xxxx - each end of the "x" goes into a hole in the canvas, and you vary the color of the thread depending on the pattern/picture.

I've never really done any knitting or crocheting, but they both use yarn, and the type of yarn used depends on what you're making - thin and soft for a baby's blanket, or a little thicker and coarser for a sweater. You can also vary the size of the stitch by the size of the needle. To knit, you need two needles, but only one for crochet.

I love to do counted cross stitch, but I rarely have time to do that now. I also scrapbook.

If you are interested in counted cross stitch, go to your local Michael's or something similar and find a small kit that interests you, the kit will have everything you need, although you may want to get some sort of hoop to keep the cloth firm while you stitch. Other than the kit and the hoop, the only other cost involved is in framing it.

I used to crochet, but I find it too repetitive and boring, but for the same reasons I didn't like it, my mom loves it!

You can also take up quilting, something I would love to do someday.

The nice thing about making blankets (crochet or quilting) is that you can donate them to organizations that give them to kids. Here is a link to one such organization.

http://www.projectlinus.org/home.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom