New Genetically Modified Glo-Cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. Strange things going on. Can't believe it went farther than GloFish, but then again, here we are, with 4 species of fish being Glo.

I might get a cool angel one, but we'll see...

For me, the whole GloFish thing was pretty cool at first. But all of the 3 gallon GloFish tanks and stuff like that is pushing it too far. I just know that when the angel fish come out, we will be seeing 5-10 gallon Glo angelfish setups. The fish themselves are, like I said before, honestly really neat, and I'm sure a nice big aquarium with a school of glo angels would look spectacular. Unfortunatly I don't all of the new glo fish aren't gonna get those homes though.

Personally I absolutely hate the Glo program and all of their fish. Their whole program is just a way to make money without any thought towards the fish. I hope this comes to an end soon. These fish look so pitiful and unhealthy.

I looked at the side by side pricing on these things and cant figure out why danios ave $5, skirt tetras are $8, and the new barbs are $11. Don't worry they are going to have every different kind of fish with these ugly fluorescent colors soon.

DragonFish71 said:
I saw glo-barbs at one of the chain stores on Friday. I think the whole thing is disgusting.

Agreed... I don't think any "modified" pets should be on the market. Line breeding is one thing for new color morphs but this takes it to far.

The good side (if there is one) is that the market for these generally only appeals to kids and newcomers into aquaria because it is gimmicky in nature. That's why they have 1g 'glofish' tanks with their own 'glofish' goods section in the big box stores.

jetajockey said:
The good side (if there is one) is that the market for these generally only appeals to kids and newcomers into aquaria because it is gimmicky in nature. That's why they have 1g 'glofish' tanks with their own 'glofish' goods section in the big box stores.

But when parents buy these for kids they'll not do any research and put 10 skirt tetras in a 2gal glo tank. I see it happen all the time...

But when parents buy these for kids they'll not do any research and put 10 skirt tetras in a 2gal glo tank. I see it happen all the time...
That's the whole point, I believe they advertise and set these up just for that reason. Selling bowls for goldfish and 1g tanks for zebra danios are both unethical in my opinion.

Poor animals :/ there's no telling how many animas are going to die just for these people to make money.

Personally I absolutely hate the Glo program and all of their fish. Their whole program is just a way to make money without any thought towards the fish. I hope this comes to an end soon. These fish look so pitiful and unhealthy.

+1. I think it's horrible.

greetings.

imo the original genetically mutated danio rerio was O.K.
they originally mutated it to make it reflective - and they released them into river/lakes to somehow measure the polution using lights. it was only later they found out they could sell the fish and earn some money.

but all of these new types of fish being mutated, just for the sake of selling them, i don't like it and i wouldn't buy them, most of them looks horrible too, far from anything natural.

I think they are ugly. I have no desire to ever own one. I have some leopard danios that are 1000 times pretty than a pink "glow in the dark" fish. And as active as my danios are (they live in a 55 gal tank), a 3 gal glo tank would seem torturous. Poor things.

Back
Top Bottom