New Job at LFS...tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theyoungaquariest

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a new job at my local LFS today, any tips or anything that bothers you about employees at your lfs?

That wasn't a good a good question to ask lol

I would say if you don't know something tell me and end it with ill find out cause I like to learn. Just don't give bad advice.

Learn all that you can about the stock they carry

I guess I just want to know how I can be more useful. I just find that a lot of people have a lot to say about employees at their lfs. I'm very open to learning, about everything.

Just follow the rules given by your employer. They may or may not allow you to speak your mind when it comes to selling fish to people. Learn proper stocking ideology so that you can give stocking answers on the fly.

If you don't know the answer to something, find someone who does, and there's no harm in saying you don't know, although you should take the time to learn the ins and outs of each species your store keeps as well as the equipment.

I got a new job at my local LFS today, any tips or anything that bothers you about employees at your lfs?

1.) If you dont know it offer to find out by another empoyee or search online for them (If you can) Its ok to say i dont know (But i can find out for you!)

2.) Ask if they have any questions about anything you have or if they are looking for a special order fish/product (If you can)

3.) Get to know your regulars I visit my lfs 1-2 a week if you know them you can offer fish or products they dont have or may want (My lfs knows i like to buy propagated corals and they are starting to carry more because they know i will buy them if they do)

4.) Be friendly, informative, and keep the store clean and your #1 in my book (Really important on the clean part) Most people decide to buy from your store depending on how clean it is

Just follow the rules given by your employer.

I would start with this piece of advice and worry about everything else later, since if you can't follow the rules you won't be around very long so other details won't matter...I own my own store and that's my first rule.

Shoei said:
1.) If you dont know it offer to find out by another empoyee or search online for them (If you can) Its ok to say i dont know (But i can find out for you!)

2.) Ask if they have any questions about anything you have or if they are looking for a special order fish/product (If you can)

3.) Get to know your regulars I visit my lfs 1-2 a week if you know them you can offer fish or products they dont have or may want (My lfs knows i like to buy propagated corals and they are starting to carry more because they know i will buy them if they do)

4.) Be friendly, informative, and keep the store clean and your #1 in my book (Really important on the clean part) Most people decide to buy from your store depending on how clean it is

Thank you. Probably the best piece of advice.

Just follow the rules given by your employer. They may or may not allow you to speak your mind when it comes to selling fish to people. Learn proper stocking ideology so that you can give stocking answers on the fly.

If you don't know the answer to something, find someone who does, and there's no harm in saying you don't know, although you should take the time to learn the ins and outs of each species your store keeps as well as the equipment.

yeah, I was just going to say all that....... :cool:

learn where the fish are,and which ones are which. it gets annoying when you have to show the employee not only where the fish are,but that the yoyos arent the "blueish ones(pointing at GBR's XD)

Get to know your customers by name, always wear a smile, and always ask them to call you or email you if they have any questions, whether or not they purchased anything.

David

Back
Top Bottom