New Turtle :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
I didn't know if there was a web sight like this one based on reptiles but I thought I'd ask. I just found a really cool turtle (I think it's a slider but it has a hard shell and was basking in the street) Maybe someone could tell me were to go to find information on how to keep it for my kids or whether or not to even mess with it. I have an empty 55g tank I was going to make into something for it but im not sure if thats good enough. Here is a picture of it so you can see what I'm dealing with. Is he worth keeping or too much hassle and money??? Thanks :)

Attachments

• IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 76
i cant really tell from your photo..if it is a slider it will have a red/orange mark on its neck. They are very easy to care for just buy the floating turtle pellets for food...mine also enjoys fruits and bugs when i find them. Likes slightly warmer water so a small heater would be nice...we just use an underwater filter. Ours also loves sunbathing so we have a rock for it to climb onto and sit in its light. No special lighting is needed. We clean her tank about every two weeks thats about it good luck! :)

I can suggest a forum...check out turtleforum.com

But I can tell you right now that everyone there is going to suggest that taking an animal from the wild is NOT a good idea. And I might add that children need to be highly supervised around any wild animal, but in this case its more a concern for possible disease and parasite issues. Until you decide what to do, do not let the kids handle him/her, and if they do come in contact, wash their hands very thoroughly.

I am more familiar with box turtles and tortoises, so I can't help much with the care of a water turtle. But based on my sisters water turtles, I can tell you that a 55 gallon tank is a minimum size for one of these, and you will NEED a respectable filter!

Good luck...
CT

if that is the 55 that it is in now in the picture that tank is already to small and you should let it go back into the nearest pond, lake, creek.

Back
Top Bottom