Newbie with giant fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kendrashep

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!
I am buying a house that comes with a built in 300 gallon fish tank. I have never had fish of any kind. What kind of time commitment and expense should I expect to keep up the tank? Is there a steep learning curve to become a competent fish owner? It sounds like a fun hobby, but this giant tank feels like jumping in the deep end.

Alternatively, is there a market for used tanks if I rip it out?

Also, I have 4 little kids 6 and under who would LOVE an aquarium. But they also keep me pretty busy. Any advice is appreciated! I really don’t even know where to begin. Thank you!

Are filters canister filters or a sump (a smaller tank often below display tank which has filter media)?

Water changes are where I find the most time goes (plus trimming/moving plants but that’s more self-inflicted :) ).

A tank blog thread is a great way to record progress. I’d keep the tank myself. Second hand market isn’t great here for prices.

I’ve got 150 gallon and thought about going back to cold water fancy goldfish. Stocked lightly and no plants :) .

Last edited:
Thank you! I think it has canister filters. We haven’t closed on the house yet, so I don’t have full access. I will take some pictures when I can.

It will come stocked with some fish already. I am definitely planning to begin with the cheapest and most hardy fish while I get the hang of it. It is built into a wall of bookshelves in the living room and looks really neat. I would love to keep it if possible.

Also- the motor was pretty loud, so I will need to address that. Or maybe insulate the cabinet.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom