Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Newbie with giant fish tank

Hi!
I am buying a house that comes with a built in 300 gallon fish tank. I have never had fish of any kind. What kind of time commitment and expense should I expect to keep up the tank? Is there a steep learning curve to become a competent fish owner? It sounds like a fun hobby, but this giant tank feels like jumping in the deep end.

Alternatively, is there a market for used tanks if I rip it out?

Also, I have 4 little kids 6 and under who would LOVE an aquarium. But they also keep me pretty busy. Any advice is appreciated! I really donít even know where to begin. Thank you!

Old 02-27-2021, 08:11 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Newbie with giant fish tank

Are filters canister filters or a sump (a smaller tank often below display tank which has filter media)?

Water changes are where I find the most time goes (plus trimming/moving plants but thatís more self-inflicted ).

A tank blog thread is a great way to record progress. Iíd keep the tank myself. Second hand market isnít great here for prices.

Iíve got 150 gallon and thought about going back to cold water fancy goldfish. Stocked lightly and no plants .

Old 02-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you! I think it has canister filters. We haven’t closed on the house yet, so I don’t have full access. I will take some pictures when I can.

It will come stocked with some fish already. I am definitely planning to begin with the cheapest and most hardy fish while I get the hang of it. It is built into a wall of bookshelves in the living room and looks really neat. I would love to keep it if possible.

Also- the motor was pretty loud, so I will need to address that. Or maybe insulate the cabinet.

Thanks again!

Tags
fish, fish tank, newb, newbie, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com