Opinions Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm saving up to start a 55 gallon aquarium in my kitchen, and I can't decide what to do with it. My two ideas are:

1. Try saltwater again but this time research more thoroughly and start a reef tank. Saltwater has always been so fascinating to me but when I tried it with a 10 gallon it went well for a little but in the end failed utterly. However, I do know what went wrong and could try to prevent it in this tank, but I'm a bit afraid of failure.

OR

2. Combine the stocks from my 38 gallon and 20 gallon (they'd fit perfectly because they don't have too many fish) and after that use the leftover money to help fund my betta fish breeding project, turn my 38 gallon into a female betta sorority tank, and my 20 gallon either into a river tank or a shrimp tank. I think it'd be great for such changes and I'd love to be able to keep some of the fish I breed. And I've always been fascinated by river loaches and cherry shrimp and it'd be great to keep some.

And now I can't decide! So I need some help. What are the pros and cons of each, and which do you think sounds like a better idea? Thanks for any opinions.

I'm saving up to start a 55 gallon aquarium in my kitchen, and I can't decide what to do with it. My two ideas are:

1. Try saltwater again but this time research more thoroughly and start a reef tank. Saltwater has always been so fascinating to me but when I tried it with a 10 gallon it went well for a little but in the end failed utterly. However, I do know what went wrong and could try to prevent it in this tank, but I'm a bit afraid of failure.

OR

2. Combine the stocks from my 38 gallon and 20 gallon (they'd fit perfectly because they don't have too many fish) and after that use the leftover money to help fund my betta fish breeding project, turn my 38 gallon into a female betta sorority tank, and my 20 gallon either into a river tank or a shrimp tank. I think it'd be great for such changes and I'd love to be able to keep some of the fish I breed. And I've always been fascinated by river loaches and cherry shrimp and it'd be great to keep some.

And now I can't decide! So I need some help. What are the pros and cons of each, and which do you think sounds like a better idea? Thanks for any opinions.

I personally feel you should go for the second option. Only because I have very little knowledge on salter water and I'm sure it would be an amazing experience. With the freshwater you can then try your hand at breeding bettas. Plus you get to make 2 ideal tanks.

if you're not failing, you're not learning.
i'd go with SW, as you mention that is fascinating for you.

I want your baby Bettas BUT I too am starting a 55 gal salt tank so we could start up at the same time and compare notes or issues we encounter.

Salt!

I want your baby Bettas BUT I too am starting a 55 gal salt tank so we could start up at the same time and compare notes or issues we encounter.

Salt!

That'd be fun! I could still breed bettas but I'd just not be able to keep very many. I think it's worth it though. I want to think it over for a little longer but I'm leaning towards salt.

Back
Top Bottom