Otocinclus or Chinese algae eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevorSB1004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was at petsmart today and was picking from the otocinclus tank and got two of them. I barley know anything anout them, and I was reading online that they are commonly confused and sold as chinsese algae eaters. So, not knowing the difference, here is a picture of the two, and hopefully you guys can tell me wether they are really ottos and not CAE... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402357433.552615.jpg

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend even buying ottos from petsmart because of how delicate they are. They usually have about a 50% die off after about a week of putting them in your tank but after that it's smoothe sailing.

Depending on the size of your tank you might want to look for SIAMESE Algae eaters (SAE). They are often sold from petsmart for a couple bucks. They can get 6ish inches so NOT for a small tank.

Otos are great, they like being in groups of a few on up, figure about half will likely die and you might not find the body to return it for the refund/exchange. They are more delicate, due to the hard time of wild capture and traveling so much. As mentioned above they are pretty hardy once acclimated to your tank. Though they don't like poor water quality.

Make sure to feed them little amounts/pieces of algae wafers unless your tank is got a supply of algae. You can also grow algae rocks for them. Wild caught are used to eating naturally and not from pellets.

Don't forget to quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom