Our Hobby Is In Great Danger!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
PEASE READ!!!!

There is currently a bill thats going before our goverment HR669, aka the "NonNative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act". In a nutshell this bill will effectively ban the sale, transport & breeding of pretty much ALL of the animals we keep in our homes and call pets. Some examples include, but are not limited to Birds (parakeets, parrots, coniers), repitles (bearded dragons, gecko's), and most if not ALL species of tropical freshwater and saltwater fish and inverts.

Please take the time to watch the following Youtube Video YouTube - Pets in Peril (politicians gone wild) HR669
and visit www.nohr669.com to take action. Your senators and congressional representatives need to hear from US - we the people - that they cannot take our pets away from homes that care due to the irresponsibility of the few. Your pets need YOU to speak for them.

Our hobby will be going down the drains if this happens. Take action NOW!

Thanks for your time.

I am positive this is being challenged by the AZA amongst other professional associations.

Yeah i wasnt sure how many people had already seen it or if it was posted already but i figured that it couldnt hurt.

I can't even imagine this passing. You're killing a semi-large industry in the US, so.. something like... stopping the imports of all foreign food products.. kinda.. I'm also guessing this dude is probably grossly misinterpreting this law.

I had a thread about this two weeks ago...did it move out of the committee? because if it did and still survived then we should begin to start panicking...otherwise dont get too worked up yet our congress wont kill a huge buisness in the middle of a economic crisis...when michigan is closing 27 schools or so in certain areas and certain buisness are only allowed to print in certain fonts that use the least ink, then i doubt we are gonna see this go through...still better sign tho

Okay, okay... What about all the species that are already here, in the pet trade? Can't we just take a greater interest in successfully breeding them? I mean, do we HAVE to strip them from their natural habitats? I am just playing devil's advocate...

Species already owned by owners may be kept....however you cant move between states with the owners if this passes. All this bill does is kill the future of the pet trade, not the pets owned now

I strongly agree with what krap101 said. The economic industry of home-pets is a multi-million, maybe even multi-billion dollar industry. With the trouble our economy is in right now, there is no way they will be able to past this stuff. The U.S. needs the money we put back into the system from buying pets, pet supplies, pet food, ect. Plus all of the employees lost from Petsmart and Petco and other pet stores that get shut down, that will also have a major effect on the economy. People will spend more scarce (don't know if I spelled that right) and that means less money circulating through the system.

If this some how passes, the economy is just going to go down further into the hole we are already in.

I seriously doubt this would pass. Even so they can't come and confiscate your pets that you payed for. What are they gonna come to every one in America's house one by one and search for 'illegal' animals? Then what would they do with them? Release them in their native countries? I can just see England being overrun with domesticated rats and mice.. Syria being overrun with hamsters and Africa/South America's skies being blacked out with parakeets and cockatiels.

Psh I take my rat over state lines more than twice a week. This is such a pointless irresponsible notion. There are far greater problems needing to be dealt with than peoples 'immigrant' pets.

It's still in committee, so no worries. Also, it negatively affects agriculture. Those bills NEVER pass. This has nothing to do with political parties...similar bills have been introduced to other sessions of congress and died in committee. This one probably will too.

I heard somewhere that the pet industry was least affected by this recessiono-depression.

Even so they can't come and confiscate your pets that you payed for
supposably they would. but as already stated it will most likely not be passed
This wouldnt be an issue if it wasnt for bad hobbyists.
you gotta keep in mind that many pets were accidentally released into the wild. the lionfish problem for example. some guy had 3 in a tank in florida but when the hurricaines came in and busted his tank they were set loose in the ocean and now they are reaking havoc.

While everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, did you all actually READ the entire bill? If not (chances are most did not read it entirely) do so. It might change you mind.

And no, they won't come get your pets. Read the entire thing.

Back
Top Bottom