Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Out of control Ph

Warning: very long post.

1st I'll give you the complete history on this tank.
75 gallon tank I bought 6 years ago. Previous owner tried to keep African Cichlids but kept killing them. After a couple hundred dollars in fish he gave up.

The tank has older 350 magnum canister filter with ceramic and carbon media also a HOB biowheel penguin 300 with filter and charcoal. Gravel bottom with under gravel filtration with 4 bubblers.

I got the tank 5 years ago when My goldfish were getting too big for the tank and cleaning the tank became a 2-3X a week chore. 3 large goldfish did well in there for 3+ years had a Ph spike and lost 2. The last Comet GF got to be about 8" and also too big for the tank and sent him out to the farm koi pond. That was about 18 months ago. I kept the filters and bubblers going in the tank after doing a good 50% water change and gravel cleaning. and twice in the 18 mot=nths I cleaned the gravel and did a 50% water change.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago I wanted to get the water ready for tropical fish. Checked the chemistry and here is what it read:
pH 8.6
ammonia 0
nitrites-0
nitrates-10ppm
Did a 50% water change used Seachem Prime to treat the water, double dose. Water here is real hard and treated heavy with chloramines.
waited 24 hours and rechecked water only changes
Ph 8.4
ammonia slightly above .25ppm

Now I decided to checked my water at tap Ph 7.8 ammonia(chloramines) 10ppm My ph wasn't coming down on its own.

So I do a complete tank drain and cleanout below the gravel filters and everything. kept the biowheels in tank water. double dosed with prime again. and waited 4 days. ammonia was at .25ppm and ph jumped back up to 8.2. Now I still don't know WTH is going on with this tank.

I tried a whole bottle of API Ph down and barely moved the Ph and only temporary.down to 7.8 next day back up to 8.2

I read up on lowering Ph and with no fish yet. I could do drastic measures. so I used vinegar to try to drop it and after triple dosing over 5 days ph would only temporarily drop to 7.8 then it came back up. Now I'm pissed I drop in a 4X dose on vinegar and Ph dropped to 7.4 next morning a complete fog bank in the tank. I suspect carbon dioxide from the reactions of the vinegar. Waited 3 days and started to clear and checked water and
Ph 8.0
ammonia .25
nitrites 0
nitrates 10ppm

Something in tank is buffering the Ph. Now I am getting crazy about getting this Ph in check. I buy a reversed Osmosis system for our drinking water (I didn't tell the wife also for the tank). I spend 3 days storing 30 gallons of water for a change out and yesterday morning I did a 30 gallon water change. Water chemistry now:
Ph 8.0
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

Also I forgot to mention previous owner had the Charcoal media filter blowinto the tank so in the gravel is mixed with some charcoal. Could that be buffering my Ph so anything I do I would have to do triple to make anything stick?
Do I keep doing water changes until it drops? Do I drain the whole tank and replace the gravel?
I'd love help. I really want fish in this tank but DO NOT want to kill anything if I can help it.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Do you have kh / gh (and other) readings for tap water at all? It sounds like kh is high so every water change will reset ph.

Carbon wonít impact ph but carbonate in gravel will eg crushed limestone or shells.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have test kit to read kh or gh, but I can tell you my tap water is very hard. The city water tests say the hardness is 38 grains.

I think you are onto the problem. for 18 months I added water when the level got low. the TDS is probably very high in the gravel. I am going to try a couple more 30 gallons water changes and I'll get a kh test kit. I'm using RO water now for the tank.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help

Clown knife with bumps on head and chin
Old 06-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Update

I bought a Kh Gh test kit. My water in the tank before the water change out. was
Kh=214ppm
Gh=off the chart 14 drops
Ph=8.0

Did a 50% water change with RO water
Now the chemistry is:
Kh=125
Gh=175
Ph=7.6

Looks like Ph was being affected by the TDS from a couple years of putting in water without removing enough of the TDS. The gold fish I had in there initially didn't mind the higher Ph.

Thank You Delapool for your advice. Looks like you were right on!

Tags
control

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com