People of your LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hate deliberately rude, mean, stinky people who walk into the fish store with their big hulking scary looking boyfriend and do the following-

"Ey, you ova der, come 'ere righ' now!"

"Hello ma'am, how may I help you today?"

"I want kuluhful swimmin' thangs'."

"Fish, ma'am?"

"Ye."

*Boyfriend looks at watch*

"What kind, ma'am?"

*Points to yellow and orange mollies*

"I want dem [moderator edit] right dere'!"

"Excuse me ma'am, please refrain from that language and behavior here."

*Boyfriend exhales deep breath*

*Lady walks over to platy tank*

"I want dat blue one right dere'"

"Yes ma'am".

"How long has your tank been set up, and how big is it?"

"It's big enuff, and it's been set up since dis' mornin' plenty o' time!"

In the end, I sold her the fish, as I'm just a kid and her boyfriend looked MEAN. Nobody wanted to intervene.

I am not making fun of anyone or their accent on this forum, just trying to give you an idea of how ridiculous she was, yelling and all.

So what was the wackiest scenario at your LFS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I was in my LFS when this guy came in really drunk and was intent on getting a bunch of fish for a small tank. The wonderful lady who runs it talked him down to one for now and pretty much shooed him out. I'm lucky to have a local place with a responsible caring family run it. The attached snowball stand on the other hand is a nightmare, haha. Takes forever to get a snowball made!

i went in to look at the fish.

spent the next three hours helping them feed, clean out and catch the fish :L

i adore the shop though, and go in like every week. so im like a volunteer now!

umm so nice situation you were in..... unlucky xx

Right after Hurricane Irene, a dad and his teenage daughter came into the shop. Apparently the power knock-out Lille everything, and they wants to know what they could get for their small 30 gallon tank. They then asked the LFS guy about EVERY SINGLE FISH IN THE STORE. Poor guy...

@Alyxx, drunk at an LFS? Sounds awful. He must have gotten so dizzy after staring at all the tanks.

My favorite LFS person ever is the Jersey Shore guy working at a shop almost in Atlanta. He always one-ups every tank you have ever even heard of, so obviously this guy owns Georgia and Tennessee aquariums combined. Probably three times as much gallonage as those together (gallonage isn't a word, but I make it a word. haha).

Anyway, me and my boyfriend walk into the shop and of course Mr. Jersey Shore is in the freshwater section. I was picking up my purple passion danios and caught glimpse of the biggest golden wonder killie I've ever seen (Gigantor, she passed away after having a SAE getting lodged in her throat...). This guys tries to talk me into the GW killie being a molly and sells it to me for $3 (I was very pleased with this amazing fish expert). And then asks me about my set up. I let my boyfriend explain my 55g since he knows exactly what plants and lights and blah blah blah is in/on it. This guy starts going on about how he has an Amazon sword (first flag) in his Asian/Australian set up (of course he has the same tank as me) that had two foot leaves (third flag). Alright, TWO FOOT leaves on a plant in a FIFTY FIVE GALLON tank. Realistic, huh?

Yes, drunk and belligerent. We were hoping he wasn't driving and the lady who runs the place didn't want me to leave until he had enough time to not still be driving in the general area of the shop just to be safe. He was obviously trashed.

What a great deal on that killi, though. It is nice when someone else's ignorance pays off instead of costing you. I've met people who do the same thing as Mr. Jersey Shore and want to top anything you say even if it means making up the most ridiculous BS.

Another hilarious fish store story, I once had a very competent fish department employee at petsmart go off on a tangent from telling me about his big escape prone Pleco to tell me about the time he had a crazy trip after taking Dramamine and how he now hallucinates if he even takes one now. I have no idea how he got onto that topic or how he has kept his job if he routinely tells this story to customers, but at least he knows what he's talking about when it comes to fish. That petsmart actually has lots of nice, helpful, well informed employees, and healthy looking fish and animals. I would go there more often if it wasn't an hour away. Only get over there when I visit my mom.

In my lfs it's not the customers that are bad but the employees.Ok I ask the employee how big an aquarium this fish needed(a blue tang)and he claims they thrive in a 10 gallon tank with a couple of clownfish and some shrimp.Then I tell him about my 29 gallon fw tank and the setup and plants that it has.

from that point He constantly suggested to me to look at the cichlid(I think it was a albino tiger)and how awesome it would look in my tank and how him and my guppies would get along so good.
then I walked out without buying anything and I never been back since.

i was sold an oscar for a 10gal when i first started .. then the same lfs sold me a 30gal when he got too big, never once mentioning i'd be doing it again in 3months.. looking back, i'd say i'm mad about it but what can ya do :)

also, i recently had an lfs person try to tell me that a tetra was a gourami .. needless to say, i felt VERY smart lol

Back
Top Bottom