Perhaps Not A Viable Aquarium Pet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's funny but I really feel safe in oceans. Sharks don't scare me. When I lived in FL, I lived in Daytona Beach, always was in the water even though we had a pool in our back yard. Sharks were always close by, heck, we'd see the dark shapes everywhere. I guess I always just accepted that I'm in their turf, what happens happens. We'd also go to the Keys 3 or 4 times a year for diving. Swam with barracuda all around us and sharks, never had any problems. But rivers and lakes? Heck no to the infinite power. Alligators live in them there lakes and rivers *Shudders* Although they are good eating. Fry the tails, serve with a wedge of lemon and a baked potato Yum!

Alligators live in them there lakes and rivers *Shudders* Although they are good eating. Fry the tails, serve with a wedge of lemon and a baked potato Yum!

I had some with a mustard sauce; one of the most amazing things I've ever tasted.

However, I don't go in the ocean. I've had undertow try to kill me enough times now that I am left to conclude that the ocean doesn't like me, and I have to respect that.

Dunno bout that ocean. But then again, I'm not too keen on my old swimming spot at the lakes anymore either after I've seen how big some of those snapper turtles get...Rumors also abound of some pretty huge but rarely seen Gar.

Thats pretty cool. If you are down here you accept the wildlife or you could go no where. I have swam in lakes before though. Sharks dont bother me, i have seen them in the water before while swimming. The thing is they are swimming around people when they are swimming all the time and nothing happens.

thats why i love the UK. you might freeze to death but theres very little to eat, suck, squish or otherwise try and kill you.

One of my great frustrations in life is the vilification of sharks. People get some funny ideas about our place in the world. The fact is that sharks are massive predators, and when you wander into the home of a massive predator you are assuming certain risks. This is not an attempt to suggest that people shouldn't go swimming in the ocean; it is an attempt to suggest that people should be about as surprised by a shark bite in the ocean as they should be to find money in a bank.

That said, shark fear is also blown so far out of proportion as to be absurd. The past decade has seen an average of 70 unprovoked shark attacks per year, world-wide. That is approximately 1/100,000,000 of the world's population turning into shark snacks. Of those 70, 65 are non-fatal.

This is also not me suggesting that I'm volunteering to be chomped, or trying to minimize what the people who are attacked by sharks must endure. No just pointing out that it is blown way the **** out of proportion.

And that's my rant for the day. I have to take the dog to the vet now.

Agreed 100%

We enter their turf and what happens happens. Gators on the other hand give me the willies. I used to be ok with them until we were at Silver Springs in FL. At Silver Springs those gators have the run of the park, which is fine, their habitat and all, I dig it. But when the park puts out benches that are shaped and painted to look like a gator, and an innocent 7 year old (yeah I was innocent at 7) goes to sit on what she thinks is a bench and it MOVES, I got issues. Scared the heck completely out of me and to this day I'm terrified of gators, except when I'm eating them. *Grins* Now sharks are different for me. I knew I was at risk every time I stepped into the water, which was acceptable. You know there's out there, you know they are swimming with you. But at a family park, you don't expect to sit on one.

Agreed 100%

We enter their turf and what happens happens. Gators on the other hand give me the willies. I used to be ok with them until we were at Silver Springs in FL. At Silver Springs those gators have the run of the park, which is fine, their habitat and all, I dig it. But when the park puts out benches that are shaped and painted to look like a gator, and an innocent 7 year old (yeah I was innocent at 7) goes to sit on what she thinks is a bench and it MOVES, I got issues. Scared the heck completely out of me and to this day I'm terrified of gators, except when I'm eating them. *Grins* Now sharks are different for me. I knew I was at risk every time I stepped into the water, which was acceptable. You know there's out there, you know they are swimming with you. But at a family park, you don't expect to sit on one.

Aw geez. Thats some definite grounds for trauma right there. :eek:

gator is yummy, tastes like pork.

Killer wildlife is why I dont go to Australia.

Hah! DF, I deleted that comment because I started rethinking the validity of my ranting, especially when I am dazed with a cold. I'm glad to know that it wasn't as out-there as I was fearing.

And yes, there is a vast, vast difference between swimming in the ocean & going to sit on a park bench. Designing the benches to look like the indigenous giant, ancient, carnivorous reptiles may not have been the wisest move.

Funny side-note: Florida is the region with the largest number of unprovoked shark-attacks, world-wide.

lol, But think of the kind of sharks we have here compared to other places ALSO think about how many people you have that flock to the beaches down here. I mean we talk california for example in comparison in Florida (this is just a example and is not accurate). California has a million people flock to the beaches for surfing when we have 5 million people coming to the warm sunny tropical climate of florida. So us getting more people means (mixed with more sharks then other places) more shark attacks. I mean FL is a penninsula for gods sake, lol.

BTW this thread inspired my new avatar. ;) GO FLORIDA.......

<-------------------

But rivers and lakes? Heck no to the infinite power.

Seriously. I totally agree. I grew up in California and spent, heck, my whole life around the ocean. Unlike you, though, I never really felt comfortable in the ocean. I definitely was scared of what might be swimming below or alongside me. It was almost a phobia - just having seaweed brush against me was enough to make me freak out. I have a general phobia of water, especially water that is murky. I can swim in a pool without any problem, though. No effin' way would you ever get me to swim in a lake or river. BTDT, and it was scary and not worth it (although intertubing was kind of fun).

I dont swim in lakes down here but what are you guys afraid of up north? When i went to Arizona there was a river running down the mountain and i swam in it for atleast a hour. Same in North and south Carolina, some awesome places to swim IMO. No gators so its a ok.

Oceans don't scare me. We actually go to an island every once in a while that has a place that if you go there, you WILL get bitten, but a mile down the coast and you're fine. We see 2 or 3 foot sharks all the time, but they're probably more afraid of you then you are of them. We see dolphins more often than sharks though. We did see an alligator in the ocean once. Musta been trying to heal from somethin. Anyway, I don't think I've ever swam in a river. Mainly for this reason. I saw this on the discovery health channel once. I NEVER want to see or read it again. Guys, this will make you cringe.

Read if you dare.
River Monsters : Candiru Catfish : Animal Planet
That is a... nice... link, and doesn't tell the whole story.

This one is... not fun to read. *Shutters* Oh, may or may not be SFW. No bad pictures, just lots of words your boss may not want to see on your screen.

EDIT: *Still shuddering*

Back
Top Bottom