pet preferance.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

which animal?

• guinea pig

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hamster

• gerbil

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought them for either 8 or 9 dollars CAD a piece while I was in Calgary. It is recommended that you get them in pairs or more, as they are social little buggers. They have a potentail life span of 15-20 years in captivity and can become diabetic if the proper diet is not followed.

i found a nice cage that can go on top of a 10 gallon tank on ebay. its still a good price. if i get this i dont know what i'll do with my other cages though. im thinking about getting around 3ish.

did you get them from a local breeder or like petco or something.

I voted guinea pig cause long ago my brother had a girlfriend that had one and it was the cutest, nicest little thing. It had long hair so it looked like a big yellow powder puff ball, so cute.

I bought my degus from an independantly owned pet store. The recommended tank size was 30 gallons. My little princes are getting a 5 foot cage soon. They love to climb and are inquesitive.

mines about 150-200% the size of my 29 gallon, but the platforms are plastic. how long will those last :?

Mine loves crawling through my hair too! My husband is also afraid of him 6'2",180lbs, and he's afraid of a litt (OK fat) rat. Mine also loves the blow dryer. He hates the bath, but likes the dryer. He responds to his name too. I still vote for the rat.

Kim

First, here is a pic of a degu begging for tasty wheat
img_442095_0_5706870185ed3b7aa9eec1840b1ae71c.jpg

Here's a couple of pictures showing the difference in sizes between degus and gerbils
img_442095_1_ddfd68fb9360f57c6a5620cbd77256b3.jpg

img_442095_2_defc68c61484ee349a83543e7208ea96.jpg

Degu's current cage
img_442095_3_9383c4bce48aecb3d6740eebd9c5ac7f.jpg

img_442095_4_4d4a3d7079fa3b1d835822253ecfcbc4.jpg

The degus will switch cages with the bird.
img_442095_5_20eea3941f9abd48fcba6b68f5faf5c2.jpg

Gerbil's cage
img_442095_6_bd2a1bdd95d2c770ddfed0c2cfba6a28.jpg

img_442095_7_6b4d2be052fa23f3675baf8aabc7ef8b.jpg

The super tasty guacamole Trevor made last week.
img_442095_8_579903c8bae3c9b16057f0dea2c4b0e9.jpg

(That's why I married him ;))

Those degus are cute, I don't think I have ever seen one before. But do you think they will remind your mom too much of a rat? I seriously don't understand why people have such an intense dislike and fear of rats. :( My husband isn't as big as Little Puff's, but he is a big ol' whimp sometimes. I am the one in charge of rogue spiders in our house. You should hear him yelling when he sees one so that I can rescue it and put it outside! Silly, silly man.

BTW, I still vote for rat! And this discussion is making me want to get one now despite my husband's protests!!!!!!!!!!
Kimberly

personally id like other animals over a rat. i like things with fur. mice have fur i think and i might like them. but if i get something that my mom doesnt like it feels so disconnecting.

dang i love your gerbil cage. must of taken a long time. and if youse are commercial ones alot of money.

im hoping i can find them around here. im checking like classifieds and ive found a few. and i found a breeder in peoria and one in rockford selling chinchillas :). i found a forum and im waiting to be accepted. theres someone on there that lives around 25 miles from rockford that breeds chinchillas too. i think i the highest ill go is around 75 for 2 lol. but only problem is its more than that for one :(

i can always ask petland to order me some... but i doubt they can get them

Meghan, I LOVE the gerbil setup! :lol: I thought my mouse city was taking over my bedroom, but you got me beat!
You DO know that you are :silly: don't you? :lol:

Do you have the tubing anchored to the wall in any way?

And was the guacamole for you or the degus?

The tubing is leaning on the door thing. When we were in Calgary, it was anchored.

you could of used clear pvc or something?
The smell would get to you! These tubes come apart for cleaning, plus Trevor drilled ventalation holes in each top piece.

I ahve two guinea pigs and they are cool. They need a pretty big cage but you can make them and its cheap and easy. I found the website http://cavycages.com/ and it helped a lot with making the cage. In total my cage cost me roughly 50$CDN maybe a bit more. They like to be with at least one other guinea pig, need hay and vegetables every day. The veggies help with their vitamin C intake whcih they dont make themselves. I ahve had mine for almost a year and they havent bitten me once. One thing you do have to do with them is cut their toe nails, its not too hard though. It is also quite easy to clean my cage, i just scoop all the bedding out wtih a dust pan, spray a vinegar/water mixture and wipe up, thne add new bedding. They make different noises and they are quite interesting. It does however take a little bit for them to get used to you, but if you handle them every day it isn't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom