PETA' Stance on Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They got this right:
PETA said:
If you already have fish, you can make their lives easier by providing them with an environment that is as much like their natural habitat as possible. While captive fish can never live natural lives, the following tips will help ensure that they are as happy as possible:

• The more space that fish have, the happier and healthier they will be. Their needs can vary, so check with an expert or consult a good fish book or expert to determine their requirements. One general guideline is that you should provide 3 gallons for every 1 inch of fish.
• Treat tap water properly before putting it in the aquarium, as most municipal water has chlorine in it, which can kill fish. The type of chemicals that you should use depends on your area’s water. Consult with a local tropical fish supply store to determine the proper treatment.
• Different types of fish require different pH levels. Check the pH level daily for the first month and weekly thereafter.
• A filter to remove waste particles and noxious chemicals from the water is essential. Live plants help with this task and provide oxygen, shelter, hiding places, and the occasional snack.
• A properly working air pump is necessary to provide oxygen.
• Fish need a constant temperature, generally between 68°F and 76°F, but you should check with a fish supply store for information that is specific to the type of fish that you are keeping. Automatic aquarium heaters monitor the water temperature and turn the heater on and off as needed. Attaching a small thermometer to the tank will help you ensure that the heater is functioning properly.
• The natural waste of fish emits ammonia, which can accumulate to toxic levels, so clean the tank regularly, but never empty the tank completely. Be sure to clean the glass well with a pad or a brush to prevent algae growth.
• Create places for the fish to hide in and explore. Ceramic objects, natural rocks, and plants work well. Make sure that all objects are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before they are put into the tank. Do not use metal objects, as they will rust.
• Be aware of the environment outside the aquarium. Suddenly switching on a bright light in a dark room can startle fish, and vibrations from a television or a stereo can alarm and stress them.
• Keep all harmful chemicals away from the aquarium. Cigarette smoke, paint fumes, and aerosol sprays can be toxic if they are absorbed into the water.
• The aquarium should be in a spot where temperature and light are constant and controllable. Tropical fish supply stores may be able to advise you on the best amount of light for the fish you are keeping. Remember that direct sunlight and drafts from nearby doors or windows can change the water temperature, and fumes from a nearby kitchen or workshop can injure the fish.
• Don’t overfeed! Uneaten food and waste material are broken down into ammonia and nitrites, which are toxic. One expert recommends providing only as much food as your fish can eat in 30 seconds.
• If a fish seems sick or lethargic, take him or her to a vet. Fish can be medicated, anesthetized, given shots, and operated on, just like other animals. Take along a separate sample of the tank water.
• Most fish enjoy companionship. If you have a single fish, check with friends and neighbors to find another loner to adopt—but don’t support the fish trade by going to a dealer.

As we all know, the aquarium trade is alive and well. Keep getting the message out about proper care and feeding to ensure healthy fish.

Is it OK if I accept the message, but reject the messenger?:wink:
I couldn't agree more with PETA's stance against cyanide reef harvesting, feeder fish conditions, fish dyeing, and betta vases. But I wonder what PETA's stance is on pet dogs, cats, birds, mice, degus, rabbits, etc. Obviously all of these animals are "robbed of their natural habitats and denied the ability to travel freely" too. The folks at PETA should all hold their breath indefinitely - with each inhalation, they are imprisoning and killing thousands of innocent microbes - and that's just plain cruel. :roll:

The folks at PETA should all hold their breath indefinitely - with each inhalation, they are imprisoning and killing thousands of innocent microbes - and that's just plain cruel.
Andy, you crack me up! Who thought a microbiologist/chemist/assistant professor guy could also have a sense of humor!?? I must say, your best material is delivered when it's really late! I'm going to look for microbes to save. Opps, I just stepped on a colony.

I believe PETA is against the "enslavement" of all animals, including pets.

There was a great Penn & Teller bit on PETA some time ago (available on the net) collecting info from the public domain and pointing out the hypocrisy, including the classic quote from VP Mary Beth Sweetland:
I am an insulin-dependant diabetic. Twice a day I take synthetically manufactured insulin that still contains some animal products – and I have no qualms about it… I don’t see myself as a hypocrite. I need my life to fight for the rights of animals

I think all would agree that depopulating any environment of its natural fauna is not a good thing. However, one could make the case that an individual fish has a better chance of survival in an aquarium than in nature.

Wow, after reading that I'm starting to feel so terrible about the enslavement of my poor dogs. It's so awful that they have to stay in a warm house in the winter, eat the best premium dog food, and have lots of love, hugs, and kisses. :roll: :p

Menagerie and Toirtis, you may be the worst offenders of all! :lol:

I wish I lived in a city that had PETA protests. I'd show up with a bucket of KFC. Mmmmm. Extra crispy.

If it's barbaric to eat meat, then call me Attilla and pass the gravy.

I've said it before... and I'll say it again...

Peta... it's what you put your steak in! :twisted:

The "Your Mommy Kills Animals!" campaign is going too far. Who in their right mind would hand a CHILD a pamplet of a person killing a rabbit with a knife then telling them that that's what their mother is doing. That's just plain wrong.

I am all for treating animals with the same respect that you treat humans, but sometimes they go too far. Saying that if a cure for AIDS can come from animal testing that they would be against it? Right now they are trying all sorts of treatments on humans. Don't get me wrong, I think it's wrong to lock up poor animals and do nothing but poke on them with needles, but it's not always like that. I'd like for the PETA President to volunteer for medical research testing.

“Pet ownership is an absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation.”
— Harper's

Like you said Severum, my poor cat. He must suffer through his yearly shots so he doesn't get any diseases and die. He must suffer through the high priced quality cat foods and fresh drinking water complete with a running waterfall drinking bowl. The warm house on the cold snowy days and the cool house on those blistering hot days must be torture. Not to mention all of the play time and affection. I see you're point, my cat is being tortured in our house. Trying to keep dogs and cats from breeding is like trying to keep guppies from breeding. Each animal would have to be spayed/neutered or seperated from each other. I think that they would be TOTALLY against that because then that would be harmful to the animal. Oh well.

I never was really against PETA until reading some of their comments that they make in the press and seeing some of their campaigns. I would NEVER wear fur or support cruel treatments of animals but sometimes they take it too far.

Im a proud member of the Peta Steet Team and Peta America. I personally disagree with a few of the things Peta has done of the years but thier work on enviromental liberation and stopping large corporations from abusing the enviroment has been excellent, although they go too far on some smaller issues than they should.

I dont want to start an argument so I am going to stop there on my support for Peta, I do enough writing and ranting for the group to make my opinions on animal welfare known. I own two dogs and I can tell you, and Peta for that matter they are far from slaves - they have a life far better than most modern human beings. The sad part is over 75% of domesticated animals are neglected, abused, mistreated, and killed.

As for the article posted above this is not the first time I have read this material and I will write a letter to Peta's office about the article. What they have forgotten is that some of the most important research in preserving fish habitats, coral reefs and the fish themselves has happened while these animals were in captivity. I think we can all agree that dumping cyanide and other poisons on the reef, leading to coral death and fish death is bad - and abusing and taking advantage of natural resources for financial gain is a disgusting part of the modern world.

I think instead of going 100% against aquariums Peta should practice promoting responsible husbandry of aquarium reef, captive reefs - etc . etc. Although much of what was stated in that article has been proven to be scientific fact and the short cutting of chemical and audible messages by the aquarium filtration and thier effects on fish is a really big question in the minds of many marine biologists. The fact of the matter is the aquarium hobby is real - everyone here is in love with it and I believe through responsible practices in our home aquariums and activisim as aquarium owners we can not only safely make our fish's captive lives decent ones but also help preserve the natural world they come from.

As for the 7 things about Peta article posted above, most of that information is very misleading and wrong. Peta donated money to the ELF before they became a violent group and the rest of those facts appear very distorted.

As for showing up at a Peta rally with a bucket of KFC in hand - well that is just plain rude and distasteful.

As for showing up at a Peta rally with a bucket of KFC in hand - well that is just plain rude and distasteful.
Considering how polite and sensitive PETA is for all things not in agreement with their views, I'll take that as a compliment.

But one bucket wouldn't be enough.

It might make more sense to talk to the guy with the philly steak stand and see if he can move a little closer to where they're at. Where there's people, there's business.

(Pass the gravy)

Ok, before something starts to get out of hand let's please keep this thread civil and try and refrain from remarks you know will offend others. If it gets personal you all know the drill...Thread will be locked.....Play Nice all please. :wink:

macman7010 said:

May be... but what about showing up at a place of worship on a Sunday... and then sue them when they try to shut you out? Or what about showing up to a school WITHOUT parental consent and handing out extremely exaggerated propaganda?

Also, if our pets were in such bad places, then how come my dog would rather lay on my lap or in my bed or eat my food instead of sleeping in the woods behind my house or trying to chase down his own food?

I know that there are a lot of animals out there that are neglected, but over 75% has to be an incorrect or, at the very least, misleading figure. Where did you get that number from?

But anyway, this is stupid. Some of these extremists are hypocrites, whether they know it or not. Aside from microbiology, how many critters do you think the average person kills a day? What about ants and other minute garden/yard bugs? What about cockroaches, termites, bees, spiders, etc. Do hardcore PETA-followers let them just run around their houses or do they RAID them? There are some things I could agree with, but those are very few and far between. IMO, it's just a ridiculous group that wants attention. IMO, the modern man cannot live (flourish) today if you release EVERY animal to the world and all that mumbo-jumbo.

Just my $0.02

perhaps it is rude and distasteful, but so is throwing red paint on people who wear fur. At least the first one can be ignored.

Okay everybody, let's get back on topic, which is PETA and fish. If the thread goes off topic, it will be relocked and the key thrown away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom